Check Engine Light

My check engine light has been on for awhile. I did get a scan and appearently it has something to do with the EGR. I did take it in for the Ontario Emission test thing and it passed. Any idea what it might be ?. A
defective sensor perhaps. ? And my next chore is to change the plugs. It is a 3.8 Litre Windstar. Any suggestions on how to get at the back three plugs. Can they be reached easier from underneath or are there things in the way. Fixed my ignition switch problem. Those tilts are a bear to get back together but i managed nicely with a C Clamp and a hollow spark plug socket. Sorry to be so vague but if there is something i'm missing you need to know just ask away.
What is the code?
P0401 - Insufficient EGR flow?
Matt
I believe it was that. Or 402 if it applies. The paper is downstairs in the van so i'll post what exactly it was tomorrow. I liked the 91 T-Bird i used to own (actually two of them) The check engine light was on for quite awhile. I floored it one day and it went off then came back on so i floored it again and it went off and never came back on. Sure wish people didn't turn left in front of me so often or i'd still have at least one of em. Damn. Robert

402 would be excess EGR flow, not a good thing. With 401 you might fail emissions for having the light on or the levels being too high, but with 402 somehow it can damage the engine over time, forget why, but it was explained in the haynes manual I have for my 2000 taurus. If I get a chance I'll have a look again.
Matt
Well that was interesting. I can't find the code. I guess the mechanic decided that i should pay to have the codes read but i don't need to know what they are because of course i have to pay him to fix the problem. The best i can say is it was a three digit number starting with 4 and he indicated it was the egr. I am thinking it is the DPFE sensor (hope i spelled that right) as it did pass emissons and the motor appears to run ok. From reading some other info on the net there are a number of tests i need to try. One i think i will do is applying vacuum to the egr and see if it stalls out the motor. The next of course would be checking vacuum to the egr. From my understanding of it there would not be vacuum to the egr valve at idle. The egr valve on that looks like a real pain to take off and clean. I'll do it if i have to but..... Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Take care Robert

Most likely is the EGR, or more specifically, the EGR valve mounting gasket. Remove EGR, clean it, reinstall it with a new gasket.
Seller wrote:

I know on the Taurus the DPFE sensor was/is a common point of failure. Replacement costs about $70 from the ford dealer.
There are also tests you can perform on the DPFE just google it.
Don't know if this applies to your 3.8L but on the Taurus I read that the EGR ports in the throttle body can get clogged and trip the code for insufficient EGR. Just google on P0401 you should be able to find what you need.
Matt