Check Engine Light - Ford 2002 Explorer

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying problem for less than the $800 Ford is asking for to remove the gas tank and replace the fuel sensor?

Apologies: It’s the Check Gauge light that’s the problem:

The gauge float is part of the fuel pump assembly, and according to the 2002 Ford Truck CD, the only way to change it is to drop the tank :-( Bummer! If it's just the light that bothers you, you could pull the bulb. . .
SC Tom

Is dropping the tank really that big a deal? I had to partially drop the tank just to replace the fuel filter on the SO's old Chrysler mini-van. I ran the tank low so it was light. It only had a couple of straps holding it up. Even on my back in the driveway it was easy. Seems like on a lift an Explorer tank would be easy - not that I've ever tried it.
Ed

I haven't done an Explorer, but I did an old Chevy Vega once that was a real PITA. Not the procedure itself; just getting the rusty nuts and bolts cut off. I don't have a lift, so we did it in the back yard, lying on our backs. Oh boy, ain't we got some fun now!?! Being an 8 year old SUV, the Explorer may be just as much fun, depending on where Art lives.
SC Tom
On 11/2/10 7:56 PM, Artreid wrote:

One error codes did the dealer read? Any other symptoms or problems?
Have you thought about getting a new truck or, better yet, fuel-efficient car?
Jeff

Shorting it will also LIKELY throw a fault. You need to put a resistor across that emulates a valid output. If I rember correctly they go from something like 10 or 12 ohms to something like 70 or 72. 80 ohms is high enough to trip the computer, and anything less than about 7 would likely also trip it. I'd put a 33 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in - at least for test purposes.

Isn't that like cutting off my leg because I have an in-grown toenail? Well, maybe not THAT drastic, but just about the same level of stupidity. Let's see, $800 to fix my otherwise perfectly good vehicle, or $25,000 to buy a new one and go back into debt for another 5-6 years. Hmmm. . .
SC Tom
On 11/3/10 1:13 PM, SC Tom wrote:

I don't what shape it is in. And, if you sell the vehicle, you would get some money for it.
Jeff

Could you take your edumacated ass someplace else?
Somebody comes here looking for help, and you suggest a new car?
You really got a high opinion of yourself.
You voted for Obama, didn't you?
On 11/3/10 8:58 PM, Dick Cheney wrote:

If you don't like what I have to say, stop reading my posts.
Jeff
When the Check Gauge light comes on the Fuel/gas gauge drops to empty (even when recently filled)...
Dealer wanted $900 to drop fuel tank in a 2001 Escape and replace the fuel pump. I pointed out that there is an access panel under the left rear passenger seat. Price dropped. If you are luck, the Explorer has a similar access panel.

Now this is definitely worth a shot...
"John Keiser" wrote in message

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 06:08:25 -1000, "John Keiser"

The escape is a MAZDA with Ford name plates. Different engineers.
This sounds like a better route. I'll look into it.