Check engine light on a 96 ford escort.

Ok, I was driving home today after dropping my husband off at work, and midway home, the check engine light came on. I went to Auto Zone, and the guy there told me that the code meant that it was either a. my
catalytic converter or b. my muffler. How can I tell what it is? I haven't noticed a whole lot of problems. We just had the timing belt replaced on Labor Day, as well as the water pump. I haven't noticed any decline in performance either. I'm not for sure if the guy was right or not since he didn't look like he knew what he was doing.
Sigh.. please. The CODE!!!!
The autozone guy might be an idiot!
You knew to go to autozone and have it checked, you knew to come here... we repeat that often enough...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!

I believe it was 4010 or 410? He kinda tilted it away from me when he said it, and then he went back in without saying anything else. I know there was a 4 and a 1 and a 0.

I shoulda posted what I thought it was... "Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit High Voltage" is 1401. - Understand why he would assume that, but' it is usually NOT cat or muffler that causes it.
401 is insufficient egr flow , if that's it.. he really IS an idiot.
That's the only things I find that's close... suggest you take it and have it read again... go to a different autozone if going back feels awkward
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!

420 was actually it, and the second auto zone I stopped at was a lot more helpful.
teri_225 wrote:

See: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_4.htm
Probably a plugged catalytic converter.

Cat inefficiency below limit or something like that... That means the cat isn't working. (Not likely plugged) Just FYI it wont hurt to drive it till you fix it (new cat) as long as the car seams to run good.