Check Engine Light (Update)

I mentioned earlier this light coming on occasionally. I have a 1995 Ford Escort LX. My dad thought that it might be bad gas. The light came on his truck recently. We recently switched stations. The light didn't come for a few days. It started coming on again. Such periods are usually brief. My uncle said that the light has come on with his new car. I can understand why this light is so confusing. One article suggested the oxygen sensor.

Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Reply to
Darren Thornton

If a check engine light is coming on in a new car, go to the dealer.

If it is an older car, you need to find out what is causing the light to come on if it continues to come on. To do that, you need to scan the computer and get a code. There are some many things that can cause the light to come on, there is no good way to guess.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Self srve gas or pumped by the attendant? Is the gas cap put back on tight??? Will put the light on if loose. If tightened after the light comes on, should go out after roughly 3 trips.

You need a code reader to know exactly what's going on - and even then you need to interpret a lot.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

You're correct. Making sure that gas cap is tight is about the only thing that you can yourself that is free to take care of the light.

You can get a code reading for free at autozone. But it is still cheaper to get a code reading than to start replacing thing without a clue.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

By all means get the code read - Autozone or wherever - but just because it points to an O2 sensor, for instance, does NOT mean you need to replace the sensor, or that the sensor will fix the problem. Like I said, interpretation is still critical - and an experienced mechanic generally knows how to do that. (not always - some are useless and your guess is as good as his - and less expensive)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thanks for the advice. What is a good price for getting the codes read? Unfortunately, Auto Zone only reads them for cars from 1996 and up. I missed it by one year! Jiffy Lube charges around $10. We have a few chains in our area (Pep Boys, Cottman, Midas, etc.), plus many local places. Unfortunately, not all mechanics are trustworthy. You can say that about any profession. I hope to get the car checked very soon. At the very least, that light's a pest. But I know not to ignore it.

Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Reply to
Darren Thornton

You can read your own codes for free on the 1995 LX! Go to this site for the hookup information:

Your "Check Engine" light will blink out the codes.

Reply to
BillyBBad

I forgot to give another update. My dad got the car checked. It was the oxygen sensor. He got another one. Now the car's working fine. Thanks again.

Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Reply to
Darren Thornton