Check engine soon

Just purchased a used 2003 Lincoln town car and when I first start it the check engine soon light comes on and then disappears, is this normal or do I
have a problem? Thanks for any info.
Like the other warning lights, the CEL goes through a "prove out" stage to indicate that the bulb is functional.
The function of this warning indicator (as well as others) is covered in your owners manual.

.That light has nothing to do with temperatures, fluids levels or volumes. Intermittent illumination of the check engine light is not a problem. The check engine lights illuminates when the engine is operating outside of its design parameters. It remains on after several restarts there could be polluting and should be check by a competent technician
mike

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:22:06 -0600, "lindy"

The reason those "check engine" lights use the word "check", is because the car makers need to get a check from your checkbook about once every year or so. Unless the engine is dead or running poorly, ignore those stupid lights. It's just a gimmick to get some money out of you. The car computers are programmed to turn those lights on based on mileage or time periods. That light comes on in my car every few months. I just shut the engine off, and restart, so the light dont irritate me, especially at night when it glares in my eyes.
Actually it is a federal EPA regulation that require the manufacture to install the light to warn owner there vehicle may be operating, and in violation the pollution laws. Pollution equipment is covered by a warrant that generally exceeds the manufactures warrant on some pollution related parts.
mike

Assuming that Mr. Senior Citizen lives in an area of the country where smog inspections are not required, there is, unfortunately, no legal way to protect him from his own stupidity. For a while I considered telling him to read the owner's manual and find out what the CEL really means, but what's the point? Why would he believe anything that came out of the Detroit conspiracy? What truly puzzles me is why would he spend his money on one of the products out of that conspiracy. Anything wrong with a horse and buggy?

Anything wrong with a horse and buggy?

actually, the gases that come out of the south end of a northbound horse are just as bad for the environment as the gases that come out of the tailpipe of a car