Check Transmission Light

2003 Windstar. 108xxx miles. I haven't seen it yet, but the wife called in a panic that the transmission warning light came on while she was driving to work. She said it was running all right. I checked the
fluid level and all is good. No burning. Nice pink/red color. I checked the manual and could find no mention of a tranny light. I drove it around the parking lot and all seemed fine with no lights. I've just read horror stories about this tranny. Any ideas? Thanks.
--

J Wald
"Can't do it Sally"

says...

If it's similar to the Taurus/Sable setup, there is a transmission light. It's in the shape of a gear with an exclamation point in the middle.
I must be blind then... On the few Windstars I have worked on, the only light with an exclamation point in it that I recall is the tire pressure warning light.... In the owner guide (3rd printing is the one I checked) same thing... even into the workshop manual....
If I am wrong, I apologize, but.....

The wife is telling me that the *light* she saw was a notice in the info screen. The same area that gives system info, mile to empty, compass, temp, etc.... .
--

J Wald
"Can't do it Sally"

Jim, I appreciate your help, but I did read the areas of the owners manual that I thought might be useful. As I didn't know until today that the warning was in the message center, I read the warning lights section on page 10. I perused the transmission section on pages 215 & 225. Transaxle pages140,223,226. I missed the message center. To honest, I don't know if I would have ever looked there without know that was where the message showed up. I went to the problem item looking for info. I should have expanded my search. So, if I get your drift here, my fears of a total tranny meltdown are most possibly true? What, specifically, DO you know about the AX4N? I've read some horror stories but, is this inevitable? If a rebuild is in order, is there a fix to be applied? I'm not too high on my local dealer for service, but there is a good transmission shop close. Is there any reason not to go to the dealer? Thanks.
--

J Wald
"Can't do it Sally"

Thanks for advice if I ever get a check engine light not to go to an auto parts store. I never have had to go but now I never will.

I took the van to work with the expectation of going to the dealer for service. The warning came on about 25 miles into the trip, but it ran fine. When I got into town, I noticed a whining sound, similar to a low fluid power steering pump, at slow town speed. With a load applied at higher speed it was fine. Dealer says no work till Fri. so I called the tranny shop. I didn't get 2 miles from work and the tranny gave out. It just went into a nuetral condition. That's my luck. 2 miles short of the garage and it won't make it. Now I gotta' add a tow to the repair.
--

J Wald
"Can't do it Sally"