Choke connection

Fellow Ford Drivers,
Last year the wire that was connected to the choke on my 1978 Ford Granada burned completely. I noticed that the choke opened and closed
without the electrical assist so I didn't bother connecting the choke. The engine is a 250 inline 6. I would like to connect the choke now and I seem to remember that the burned wire came off the alternator. The wire was spliced into a wire that was connected to the alternator. I measured this wire today and only read +7 volts or so. Is this correct?
Should I just run the car without the electrical assist to the choke?
Thanks in advance
azazel scratch wrote:

voltage you read is correct for the stator wire of the alternator, witch is normally where the electric choke is powered from.
--
Sean Hawkes