Chrome

Page 1 of 2
Where did all the chrome go...
New vehicles seldom have any chrome on them, the trucks at least still have some chrome on the bumpers... but we are in a serious lack of
chrome here...
Is there any particular reason for this?

weight, aesthetics, cost....???
it just doesn't adhere to plastic too well. And the "chrome" that does looks cheap.
--
Spike
Picasso wrote:

To downplay the whorish white trash appeal?

White trash? hmm.. seems to me the term 'bling bling' originated in the rap community - check out some rappers cars/suvs -- all chrome.. all over...
Dan J.S. wrote:

I don't believe in insulting an ethnic group unless I'm a member of it, which is why I made the dig at the white trash community. Also I didn't know there were any rappers back in the 1950s, the era of maximum chrome.

The era of chrome was reborn in the late 90s. I think the 50s chrome was more middle class anyway. But I do see your point.

enamel paints. Paved roads, much better paints, plastic panels, flex agents in paints = much less "need" for chrome.
"A Bit" of chrome adds a touch of class, a lot adds a touch of crass. 99-03 Windstars chrome accents, good sales, 04-present Freestars virtually no chrome and a corresponding # of sales.
Cars are clothing & people that buy new cars want their cars to make them look good. A Bland Average car says the owner is Bland & average.
1990's Taurus revolutionary (good sales) 06 Taurus Bland, (poor retail sales). Sadly the US Car company's are dominated by Accountants and Risk Managers instead of racers and show off's.
The world wants 57 T-Birds & 67 Mustangs, 59 Cadillac's. Instead they give us Focus, Fusion, Five Hund~erd's.
No Wonder they're F*d

you can thank the EPA for the demise of real chrome: the plating process produces noxious fumes and waste making it impractical (and that's why rechroming the bits on an old car costs a fortune). Likewise, the car companies haven't done us any favor with water-based paint that they attempt to preserve for a while with an inpermanent clear coat......the old enamels and lacquers painting processes gave off too many fumes to meet EPA emission standards, so we have "improved" paint jobs that look shiney - until they peel off.
by the mid-50s, most "chrome" grill work was really aluminum and better cars had real stainless steel trim.......very maintenance free and you didn't have to worry about a butterfly doing $850 worth of damage to the painted nose of your car....just wash the bugs off.
for a while we had flash-chromed plastic.....have always wondered how they managed to make plastic chrome pit just like potmetal!

It is not the EPA that makes the laws. It is Congress.
What would you prefer? A nice shiney chrome job or healthy lungs?
I like my lungs more than my car.
Jeff

Congress has no idea what the EPA is doing. They lost control long ago. You can have your lungs and the chrome, just wear protective clothing.

use the property after they are gone.
--
I. Care

Up until THESE abominations:
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/boc_2000/buic5801.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cusslersrealm/Cars/58_oldsmobile_98.jpg
At which time the solid middle class got tired of seeing some people, esp teens like me, discreetly turn to the side and vomit as they drove by.
Now, do a google image search for 59 buick and olds
you pay..DEAL with it!

Abomination? I'll have you know, suh, I was just barely out of my teens when this was taken at the GA/FLA border on my way to NAS Jaxsonville. That wonderful Supah 88 defined the term "land yacht:" Hmmmph!
I dunno..... it may have to do with the "if it don't go, chrome it..." syndrome....
While "chrome" may have been de rigeur in 1958, it is currently a tad gaudy.... especially on trucks with the requisite chrome things that serve no purpose.

I believe the EPA had a hand in the disappearance of chrome-plated anythings. Chrome plating suppliers these days must adhere to a strict regimen of standards and practices regarding the process, such as chemical storage, disposal, etc. that translates to an enormous expense that they're not willing to incur. Or, if they've passed on these expenses to their customers, the customers are not willing to eat them.
JKevorkian wrote:

I do remember a chrome plating shop that did have a lot of EPA paperwork. Also, if my 20 year old information has any truth to it yet, most chromium comes from Rhodesia and like most backward countries, they are only happy if they have a civil war going on and all manufactured goods have been disrupted.

Rhodesia hasn't existed for how many years now???? Zimbabwe now.

clare wrote:

Like I said, 20+ years ago. Still is about the only place that chromium is mined.

Chromium is mined in the Canadian Shield, New Caledonia (in the south Pacific), South Africa, Albania, Brazil, China, Cuba, finland, Greece, India, Indonesia, Japan, Iran, Madagascar, Morrocco, pakistan, the Philipines, Turkey, Russia, VietNam, and Yugoslavia.
Russia, Albania, and South Africa are the largest producers. Canada's output is very low.

<Moderate snip>

A small bottle of Chromic acid crystals was quite expensive a few years ago, here on the left coast! It fizzes like pop during plating, and will burn out the mucous membranes in your nose if any is inhaled.
Steve R. On the West Coast of Vancouver Island.