Cleaning IAC

Many times when a rough idle condition exists, the regulars have suggested removing and cleaning the IAC valve. My 1991 Ranger from time to time, idles rough, and over the past year, I noticed sometimes when I let off the throttle or push in the clutch to shift, the engine continues to idle high as though the throttle cable is stuck.

Now, I did already remove the IAC and spray it down liberally with WD-40 or similar, but the engine still tends to idle a bit rough at times. Visually, I couldn't see much carbon or deposits on the IAC itself. The throttle cable is also fine as well. Is there a better way to try and clean the IAC, I was gonna remove it again and let it soak overnight in a container of Varsol.

BTW, this truck is off the road now, so it isn't really a big deal that it runs perfectly. I'd just like some opinions whether it is worth cleaning this way or not in case I sell the truck or decide to put it back on the road.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

I used carb cleaner on mine, then blew it out with low-pressure air to make sure I got any garbage out. Don't use alcohol- that has a tendency to dry out any of the rubber parts. Be sure not to let any cleaner get up into the coil area- it can break down the insulation on the windings, causing a short. After cleaning mine, I used a small screwdriver and worked it back and forth to see if the action was smooth or not. Been doing OK for about 4K miles now.

SC Tom

2002 Escape 3.0L
Reply to
SC Tom

Price a new one at autoparts... getting to be a common replacement item, and seriously, having done so twice, not worth the trouble to clean.

I assume you dont read everyting on here, religiously. WD 40 really wont help... not if it's carbon stuck anyway... perhaps the "motor shaft"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you have already had at if a couple of times with solvent and you are sure you had it well cleaned, it may be time for a new one. The high idle between shift may be a result of a sticky IAC. The IAC also acts as a dump valve by opening all the way on decel to allow axtra air in helping the converter do it's job. It should close as the engine RPM drops to idle speed.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut