Clear Headlight Question

The headlights on my '97 Grand Marquis are supposed to be clear but they are not (except for one small spot on the upper left corner of the left headlight). There seems to be a haze or film that is definetly on the outside. The film seems lighter near the top and gets a little cloudier near the bottom. I've tryed to clean them with "Windex" and "Blue Magic Plastic and Plexiglass Cleaner" but with no success. Is this something caused by U.V.'s? Is there a product that I can use to get rid of this haze?

T.I.A. Steve

Reply to
D H A C

Get some of the stuff they use to clean motorcycle windshields. Then keep the lens cover polished with a polymer like NuFinish.

mike hunt

D H A C wrote:

Reply to
StoneyRhoades

This yellowing is inevitable on all plastic windshield lens/covers. The best way to fix it is to get glass ones, which may or may not be available for your particular model of car. I've heard that there are some buffing compounds that will 'bite' through the glaze adn clear it up, but that's only a temporary solution at best.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

with our 96 ford contour the headlight lenses were getting a yellow look.. i used a $1.79 can of Turtle Wax Polishing compound.. rubbed the stuff in with a damp face cloth for about 5 minutes each headlight lens by hand and then put some more compound on and used an electric drill with a polishing compound... did this for three times about a week apart and the lenses looked new.. i used some duct tape to cover the area aound the lenses so i would not take off any paint from the body parts. and then used some WD-40 to get rid of the adhesive from the duct tape..... took a little time, but nothing better to do and it looks great....

Reply to
jim

I have used a polish for plexi-glass but cant think of the name. Try a glass repair shop.

Reply to
<hoytd

I have a similar situation with my '99 Crown Vic - but it is just the left lense. I only bother to do something with it when it is time for the annual inspection (happens to be now). To clear the lense I simply wipe it with a cloth soaked with a little mineral oil - then wipe it off and it stays clear for the inspection and a few weeks after it.

Reply to
avoidspam

Try Sporty's Pilot Shop. I've used the same stuff on aircraft windshields with very good success.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have found that polishing them with RainX (of all things) does a wonderful job of cleaning and keeping them clear. I usually clean and buff, wait a bit, then apply and buff again. I cleaned them the first time with Castrol Super Clean which got a lot of the yellow gunk out but now I just use the RainX.

Works great on both the '95 Crown Vic and the '93 Cougar.

Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P