Climate control mode selector on Fords

Do all Ford vehicles "leak" air to the floor vents when the climate control selector is set to dash outlet?

Every Ford I've ever owned lets air leak through to the floor vents when the selector is set to dash outlet. It's a absolutely aggravating thing to have my feet freezing when the A/C is on. Great job, Ford. If I want air coming out of the floor vents, I'd set the selector to bi-level. By the way, setting it to bi-level just barely changes the amount of air coming from the floor vents.

Incidentally, this is a 2005 XLS. And before any of you say "Take it in to service, something's wrong with it", no, there is nothing wrong with it. I checked two other '05 XLS's on the lot, same options and equipment, and both of them do the same thing. Had a 96 Taurus that did it too. I'm so glad that this is a company vehicle, I would NEVER spend my money on the damned thing, just for this very mode control problem.

The only solution I can see (and I HATE having to rig something up, when it should work correctly from the beginning) is to tape over the floor vent or cut a plug out of some material and plug it like a cork. How would you like to have to reach into the floor well every time you switched to heat?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone from Ford monitors this group, you'd better change the air box handling design if you ever want my personal business---

Reply to
FerdyPooh