Clutch Question

I have a question with regards to a 1993 Ford F-150, Supercab, 5 Speed. The condition of the truck was as follows - the Hydraulic Cilinder leaked, causing the clutch to not work as well as it should, it had over
250,000kms, the truck was used by someone we knew for a 1 hour period and he has had experience in driving every kind of standard out there, there was a short time frame of approximately 2 minutes where the clutch wasn't working that well, and he was shifting without using the clutch, I didnt hear any gears grind or anything that would have indicated a problem. And when the truck was taken in to have the clutch replaced the mechanics said that there were metal shavings in the gear box. I was wondering if there is any possiblilty that this was a result of shifting without the clutch or drving the truck in the poor condition it was in, or a problem that can happen over time. I honestly dont think the damage was done in such a short period of time. If you could share you experience and knowledge I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You
sfs_greenbean wrote:

So your real question is "did my friend fuck it up, is there a way I can get him to pay for the service?".
I would expect to find metal pieces in the tranny of /any/ vehicle that has been operating for a quarter of a million km. If the clutch has been misbehaving for some time then doubly so.

I'm with zwsdotcom - some metal shavings are normal in any transmission and the amount builds up over the miles. Ideally they should be small shavings. If there is a big chunk of gear tooth in the shavings you've got a problem, but otherwise you should rest easy. Driving without a clutch really isn't that hard on a tranny as long as it isn't forced into gear. I bet the tranny will outlast the truck.
Mike