code p1451 on 98 escort

i am getting a p1451 code error on my 4cyl 98 escort it says it is evap emission control sys vnt cntrl circ malf, could someone tell me what that means an how to fix it? thank you

Reply to
ramdodge

Yes. Replace the EVAP Purge Solenoid, and the EVAP Purge Sensor. They are located on the left inner fender within ~4" of each other in the same Evap vent line. It's one or the other that fails, but because of the number of failures for both, Ford recommends replacing both of them with superceeded part numbers at the same time. I'm guessing $60-80 for the kit from the dealer. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket parts yet. Ask the dealer fot the EVP Purge solenoid and EVP Purge sensor. They will likely need the Calibration code on a sticker placed on the drivers door. Last I remember, they came in a kit, but today you might have to buy them separate.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

When I bought this kit last August, it was about $70 from the dealer, it came as an assembly with both parts and the required vacuum hoses, and they didn't need the calibration code.

Please note that when removing the old hoses, which are brittle, it's better to split the hose end with a razor blade rather than risk breaking off a nipple on the canister or the other vacuum hose end. Don't forget to re-use the protective flexible sleeves that most of the hoses are encased in. It protects the rubber hoses from the heat of the exhaust manifold and from abrasion.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin