Code reader suggestions ?

On my 2002 Ford Taurus SEL wagon I have a recurring "check engine" light coming on, and after doing some searches on this discussion group, it seems that, that is a fairly common issue.

I came across mention of a "SunPro code reader". Searching that on google brought up the Actron web site. It looks like the basic reader is about $100 and a fancier one is about $300. Probably cables needed for a particular make of car, is extra.

Does anyone have any experience with these or other makes of code readers ... and have any suggestions as to what one is the best (best value) to get ?

Thanks !

-RS-

Reply to
RS

Just looking around google for "automobile code readers". What do you people think of these ones:

Equus CanOBD2 Code Reader: $200

Actron OBD II AutoScanner: $140
PocketScan Code Reader CP9125: $100

************** Any other suggested models ?

Thanks,

-RS-

Reply to
RS

Try this on for size.... one of the most common reasons for a CEL on your car is the DPFE sensor. AutoZone (YECH!!) will read your codes for free.... if they retrieve a P0401 and NO OTHER CODES... Check with your Ford dealer before you part with any cash.... The warranty period on your DPFE sensor has been extended (sorry, can't remember mileage or time, off-hand). If you are the original owner, you should have gotten a letter advising you of the updated coverage on this sensor.

Do NOT have AZ clear the code if it is present... the CSP has us scan codes.... if a P0401 is present, we slam-dunk a DPFE, calear codes and pat you on the bum on your way out the door. If the code returns, bring money. If other codes are present along with the P0401, bring money.

As far as scan tools are concerned.... most basic scan tools will help you buy parts. Full function scan tools (while spendier) will help you diagnose the concern.

Just my two cents... take it or leave it and don't nobody get mad.

Reply to
Jim Warman

'> I came across mention of a "SunPro code reader". Searching that on google '> brought up the Actron web site. It looks like the basic reader is about '> $100 and a fancier one is about $300. Probably cables needed for a '> particular make of car, is extra. '>

'> Does anyone have any experience with these or other makes of code readers '> ... and have any suggestions as to what one is the best (best value) to 'get '> ? '>

'> Thanks ! '>

'> -RS- '>

'>

' Hi Jim:

What do you think about "CarChip" by DriveRight versus the generic code readers, the CarChip have the ability to record 75-300 hours worth of driving trip details, something a code reader cannot do at all. And it sells for about the same price as a generic code reader ?

On the face of it, this does appear to be a better choice, but I know that CarChip has not become popular despite of being on the market for a few years. I am asking because there may be something about it that is not obvious.

Tia

Matt

Reply to
Anonymous

I have this one:

Rick

I was looking at the CarChip site. I didn't see any prices. Does anyone know what it costs ? I note that "generic" code readers cost $100 to $400 ... and beyond.

-RS-

Reply to
-RS-

I have CarChip E/X. As far as code reading goes it's basic and requires a computer to read codes stored. It doesn't help with diagnosis of what the code means (they do include a list of common codes in the 'online' manual. So for your personal vehicle it isn't a bad choice. Doesn't require any special cables for the car since it plugs directly into the OBD-II connector. The latest USB models are an improvement over the older model like I have and can read CAN protocol codes the very latest vehicles are being outfitted with (the non-USB models can't and never will read CAN protocol -:). Davis seemed to have 'upped' the price of their units. I got the E/X for about $130 from Autozone (which they are still selling). The newer USB model seems to cost closer to $170, though I saw some discount models around $140 plus shipping.

The ability to download realtime data for up to 300 hours driving is really nifty and could come in handy if you are at no fault in an accident when the other dude claims otherwise.

If your car does get a code as you drive (like the original poster) then it may be very helpful in the diagnosis of what's up. It can track 23 parameters, but only 4 you choose at any one time.

Once you've fixed the fault the Carchip can be set to switch off the check engine light.

If you get codes only very infrequently the ability to record realtime data is certainly an advantage over a code reader that would otherwise sit collecting dust in your toolbox. For the more active mechanic, it's too much of a hassle hooking up to a computer each time you need to decode a fault.

My tuppence worth.

JP

Reply to
JP White

It's not clear from that link, what the actual item looks like. Is it a stand-alone unit with a LCD panel like most of the generic code readers?

-RS-

Reply to
RS

All the models on the Davis webpage

seem to haveUSB now ... or am I reading the page wrong? What do you think of the very basic model ... the "ChaChip" with its 75 hour capacity? What distributors did you see the CarChip discounted at ?

Thanks,

-RS-

Reply to
RS

for those who are thinking about one..these are things you may need to know.

............................................................................ ...............................

CarChip Conflicts & Exclusions

CarChip has been carefully designed and tested to comply with OBDII protocols J1850-41.6, J1850-10.4, ISO9141, KWP2000 (ISO14320), and CAN (ISO

11898), which are used on most cars and light trucks sold in the USA, model-year 1996 or later. However, some vehicle models are not in full compliance with these protocols. In addition, the computer control systems on a given vehicle may be malfunctioning or out of spec, as may be the sensors used by these systems.

Before installing CarChip, be sure to review the list of known exclusions, conflicts, and anomalies below. Unless specified otherwise, the list applies to all versions of CarChip, whether they are downloaded via serial port or USB.

This list is current to the best of our knowledge as of the time of publication. However, given the thousands of vehicle models produced since

1996, no list can be completely comprehensive. For more information on OBDII issues and anomalies in general, we recommend The Equipment and Tool Institute's website.

While our testing and the experience of thousands of CarChip users have shown the unit to be safe and reliable, there is an inherent risk in adding any aftermarket product that may potentially affect the operation or drivability of your vehicle. Should you be concerned about the operation of your vehicle at any time while using CarChip, you should pull over off the roadway immediately or as soon as it is safe to do so. Remove CarChip from the OBDII port and consult a licensed mechanic or automobile service center.

Report any issues or concerns to our Technical Support Department by phone, (510) 732 7814, or via e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@davisnet.com. We are open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Pacific Time. We maintain an active database of the feedback we receive, and your comments can help us continuously improve the product.

Ford 7.2L CAT 3126 Diesel Engines

CarChip is not supported in these vehicles.

Hybrid Gas/Electric Vehicles

CarChip is not supported in hybrid gas/electric vehicles, including the hybrid models of the Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Lexus RX400, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius, and Toyota Sienna.

Tiptronic ® Transmissions

CarChip may cause vehicle hesitation or stuttering when used in 2003 or earlier model-year vehicles with Tiptronic transmissions. Developed by Audi and included on many of their vehicles, a Tiptronic transmission is one in which the driver may switch from a manual transmission to an automatic transmission while driving. Please check your vehicle's owner's manual to see if your vehicle has a Tiptronic transmission. We have not resolved this issue, and we recommend that you not use CarChip in vehicles with Tiptronic transmissions.

Incomplete Data Collection

Some drivers of 1997-1998 Fords and Mazdas have reported that the trip time and selected engine parameters are recorded by CarChip, but vehicle speed is not.

CarChip Conflicts & Exclusions Isolated or Intermittent Issues

Some drivers have reported occasional incidences of the following. If these or any other issues occur while you are driving, please remove the CarChip immediately or as soon as it is safe to do so, and contact our Technical Support Department.

Chevrolet, Dodge, GMC, Pontiac, Toyota Highlander, or Toyota Celica: May cause some or all of the dashboard lights to flash occasionally in some models.

1996 Mercedes Benz "C" Class: May cause the "Check Engine" light to turn on when the CarChip is inserted.

2002-2004 Chrysler and Dodge: May cause a momentary loss of engine power in some models.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer and Evolution: May cause vehicle instrument gauges to "freeze up."

Using CarChip with Other Aftermarket Products

CarChip may not operate properly or may cause unexpected vehicle behavior if it is used in conjunction with other aftermarket products that also use the ODBII port or communicate with the vehicle's on-board computers. Examples of these include remote starters, keyless entry systems, and some alarm systems. If you are using any of these aftermarket products, we recommend that you remove them from your vehicle before using CarChip.

Vehicles Manufactured for Sale Outside the US & Canada

While vehicles manufactured for sale outside the US and Canada may appear to have an ODBII port, they may not use the same protocols, and thus may not be compatible with CarChip. For vehicles manufactured for sale in Europe, some

1996-1999 vehicles may be compatible; most 2000 and later vehicles should be compatible. Since requirements vary by country, vehicles manufactured for sale elsewhere in the world may or may not be compatible.

Additional Exclusions for the Serial-Port Version of CarChip Our original CarChip models (# 8210, 8220, and 8240), which are downloaded using a serial-port cable, are not compatible with the new CAN (ISO 11898) protocol, which is being phased on newer vehicles. Download a chart of known CAN (ISO 11898) protocol vehicles. Our current CarChip models (# 8211, 8221,

8225, 8241, and 8245), which are down-loaded via a USB cable, are compatible with the CAN protocol. If you have a vehicle that uses the CAN protocol, you cannot use a serial-port version of CarChip; you must use a USB-version. Information for 2006 vehicles is not yet available; check our website for updates over the coming year.
Reply to
Sergeant Bilko

readers?

No, it runs on a laptop computer..

Reply to
Rick

Thanks,

I had read the compatability warnings on the Davis website ... guess it doens't hurt to repeat here.

Getting back to discount sources for the CarChip ... any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks,

-RS-

Reply to
-RBS-

I found the latest USB models $30 off at

or try
JP

Reply to
JP White

Yes the new models are all USB. However the models I see for sale at Autozone (at store and online) are still the old serial interface type. That's what I was warning you about, there are still some old models left in the supply chain. I'd recommend the USB models due to their better compatibility with new cars and they will be supported with firmware upgrades for longer.

The model with the alarm is $149.95, the regular E/x is $139.00

JP

Reply to
JP White

Not so good. You cannot configure it to record any parameters, it just records a few preset parameters such as speed. It's memory is much less. I wouldn't recommend it except for the most basic use i.e. for monitoring other drivers performance and reading codes when they occur.

JP

Reply to
JP White

I saw the AutoZone webpage with the E/X However, the photo of the item is too small to make clear what the interface is like. I see a pic of a cable that is serial on one end ... and some smaller plug on the other. Could the smaller end be USB ... and the larger end be "serial-like" ... which goes into the CarChip?

-RS-

Reply to
RS

I'm pretty sure the Autozone model is the older version. I think it would say USB somewhere in the description if that was the case.

JP

RS wrote:

Reply to
JP White

Thanks,

I have ordered the USB model of the CarChip E/X from Provantage.com

-RS-

Reply to
RS

I received my CarChip E/X last week and so far have used it on one trip of

400 km. in length. What is the best newsgroup to see questions/answers (tips & tricks re: the software that comes with it, etc.) regarding its use?

Thanks,

-RS-

Reply to
-RBS-