Coded Keys for 98 Ford Crown Vic

Greetings to the Ford community here, I need to get a key and a remote fob for a 98 Crown Vic, Does anyone know where the best prices are locally in Cleve, Ohio? I need to have the keys coded and purchase
additional remote control fobs for these cars. Are these only obtainable through the Ford dealers? / Or are there key shops or programers that have this equiptment at lower prices?
In a second question is there a work around way to shut off this option in the cars computer? Its just an expensive headache for me in my personal car, due to the number of keys I need, and there is no insurance price break for having this device in the car working. Advice and information appreciated... Thanks in advance for the help!!! Regards, BeeVee

I'm not certain just how similar it would be, but the service manual for my 2000 Sable shows an option called 'Unlimited key mode' that allows for more than 8 keys to be programmed. There doesn't seem to be an option to totally disable the PATS key requirement. Setting the mode requires using a scan tool that can access the security modes.
One cheat is to mount a spare, programmed key inside the steering column, right next to the antenna used by the PATS system, which is next to the ignition swtich. You can then use a plain, uncoded key. This is one method sometimes used to bypass the system for remote starters.
Try a site on the net called "Street Keys". I was able to get spare keys and a fob, plus they tell you where to go to get the key coded. Chuck

shops
in
insurance