Coil replacement?

Hi,

I solved my problem with the IAC valve that was faulty, but I still lack some power. My plugs are relatively new (2500Km).

But I checked my coil, and if I trust Haynes manual, my coil needs replacement.

It is said that the primary resistance should be between 0.3 and 1 Ohm, but I read between 1.4 and 1.6.

Does my coil need replacement?

Thanks.

Reply to
Yves

Yves opined in news:WzSId.1304718$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Most meters cant be trusted under 5 ohms... if you have doubts about coil, replace it. Cheap -about 20 bucks- and they inevitably fail at some point.

Most coils can be checked but observing running at night, look for arcing or corona between the bobbin and frame. Use same method to observe wires.

Also, an internal arcing short shows by car falling on face at a given rpm under acceleration.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Does your 1.4 - 1.6 reading take the test leads into account?

Touch the leads together, subtract any reading from the 1.4 - 1.6 that you measured.

Even my Fluke 87 reads .3 - .4 loss thru the test leads.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com:

Ohmmeter reading the Primary, if the engine runs, is useless!

I cant think of any reason for it to read OVER the spec, never mind calibration. What - is the wire going to stretch and become thinner?!!!

And the difference between .3 and 1 ohm in a copper circuit is like saying "from 1/3 to 1 mile"!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi,

Unfortunately, the coil is 90.00$.

Anyways, what do you mean by

... by car falling on face at a given rpm under acceleration.

Would it be something like taking the pedal to the floor, and the engine can't take it, I release it up to a point where the engine seems to "digest" more easily the gas!!!

Thanks.

"Backyard Mechanic" a écrit dans le message de news: Xns95E79378F9B0CBkMch6d@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
Yves

Might be, might not be. I have seen plenty of instances where an engine ran (but with a problem) and the coils primary was the cause of the problem. Can it be caught with an ohm meter? Doesn't matter because the OP is having trouble with a reading that is over spec, and the reading being over spec is quite possibly caused by his procedure. He didn't ask what is the best method of ruling out whether or not his coil is functioning properly.

Is -what- wire going to stretch and become thinner? The windings in the coil, probably not. But that wasn't the question, the OP was looking for a plausible explanation for his slightly over spec resistance reading. I offer that possibly he didn't know to subtract the resistance of his meter leads from the total reading that he measured.

But if his leads are adding .3 ohm to his total reading, then his coil is within spec, which answers his question; no, you don't have sufficient information to shit can the coil yet. I wouldn't condemn that coil just because it's resistance happens to measure .1 ohm over the spec found in a Haynes manual. And yes, there are much better ways of testing the coil primary for problems than using an ohm meter.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 opined in

cuda... see above! Sound familiar?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yves opined in news:qFWId.1321053$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

It would be EXACTLY like that.

You dont HAVE to buy a new coil, esp from the dealer. A used one will do. Especially to verify the problem.

Then any auto parts store, even in canada or europe should have them.

And all bobbin type ford coils are the same, if the connecter fits, use it. Dont confuse the coil with the bracket that it's mounted on, they vary.

All open coils (and most older closed ones) will fail sooner or later. But more or less at random.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

So?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

aarcuda69062 opined in news:nonelson- snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com:

It's classic secondary arcing failure

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi Backyard Mechanic,

I installed an used coil 49.95CA$, and it solved the problem, I suddently gain some power thus better acceleration.

Thanks for your help.

"Backyard Mechanic" a écrit dans le message de news:Xns95E7CDD533A7FBkMch6d@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
yves

Hi again, I forgot to mention that the OHM reading is in fact useless, the used coil has higher reading than the faulty one, 1.6-1.8Ohms.

"Backyard Mechanic" a écrit dans le message de news:Xns95E79378F9B0CBkMch6d@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
yves

Holy CRAP! Even with the exchange rate, that's ROBBERY!

Next time youre in the states, you need to "stock up"

yves opined in news:MDtJd.1446564$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, it's the best I could do!!! The dealer sells it 200.00, of course brand new!

Do you what is the use of the little connector that bolts on the coil, there is a wire connected on it, mine is all rusted, maybe it needs changing too.

I can't find any cheaper than this on the internet (available to canada that is!)

What kills us is not the exchange rate (at least for now), it's the shipping and/or customs.

Three years ago the exchange rate was 1.6, now it's roughly 1.2!!!

"Backyard Mechanic" a écrit dans le message de news:Xns95E981F76FAC5BkMch6d@207.115.63.158...

Reply to
Yves