Cold Are Ram kit for late model Mustangs

Ok, I've been thinking of a cold air ram scoop for my 2006 Mustang. It's only a 6, but I've put JBA headers on it and I'm now at 26mpg per tank and the performance is up if I want to use it.

But I've noticed on some hot muggy days the car just doesn't pull out with authority that it does at other times. I tried to find out why.

Anyway, I hooked up OBDCOM and found that the air intake manifold temp varried from 91F to 140F today, with an outside temp in the mid 80's. If I was moving and the radiator fan was off, like the about 1/2 mile to my house, I essentially coast in at idle, the temp went down to 91F. But if I was with a hot engine and went UP the hill, pulling into a side street with the engine just coming off a load and blowing off heat the engine compartment air being sucked in quickly climbed to 140 as I waited at a stop.

I may do some more testing where I stream data to a spreadsheet, and I'll probably take air temp, coolant temp, throttle position, and vehicle speed. Then I can drive under a lot of conditions and really get a handle on it, but at this point I think it's pretty clear. The warm air builds quickly, and a cold air kit might help.

So, I've been thinking of the ram scoop (1969/70 style) through the hood. About $800. It doesn't look too hard to install. But... Here's the down side. I know they can handle rain. You increase the drain hole in the air box. But what about winter snow? Can I bypass the system for those days in a storm? Instead of blocking off the original air input, how about a 'flapper', so that even though it would be a bit restrictive, the car would still draw air if the hood was snowed over. And what about snowstorms? I wouldn't intentionally take the Mustang out in snow, but sometimes you can't plan everything. It is a daily driver. (Although I do have a Jeep I drive more days that the Mustang during the winter months.)

Reply to
Mike Y

Well, I bought the CDC Cold Air Ram hood scoop from CDC through American Muscle.

Installation wasn't too bad

Performance seemed to kick up half way through the install. I think because even though I didn't put the scoop on yet, I had changed the air piping and now had over 2 times the cross sectional area for intake. Car seemed to have a lot more go power

With the kit finished, I re-ran the temp test. I can't get the intake manifold temp to rise more than 6 degrees over ambiant, no matter what. It's usually less. That's a far cry from it climbing up into the 140's like it did before the install!

While it's still a 6, it's now very consistant and pulls out with authority from stops. Midrange power seems up a bit, and top end rpm seems to wind out a bit faster. That's probably due more to just the increased air flow.

I'm pleased.

Reply to
Mike Y

Cool, if you'll pardon the term. Isn't the car already designed with the factory opening for the intake air out in the front off to the side of the grill or in the wheel well opening?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The air intake is off to the side, yes, but it's behind the plane of the radiator and the side plates. It's a short stubby tube off the front side corner of the air filter box, and not very big. When the vehicle is slowing after even moderate speed, the radiator fan kicking on 'pressurizes' the entire compartment with hot air. I had my OBDCOM hooked up and saw the intake manifold temp go to 147 degrees in seconds.

But... Even without the scoop, just punching the hole in the side of the air box and adding another and bigger air tube makes the engine 'breathe' better. I think it's a combination of the bigger piping and the fact that I have already installed headers.

While the peak horsepower may be marginal at best, upper midrange is well improved, as well as very low speed 'bug outs'.

Reply to
Mike Y