"Cold-blooded" 95 Taurus 3.0?

Odd complaint from the wife.

Since temp got down below fifty, complaining that car doesnt start and run properly when parked in lot at her work, it's on a slight incline but not much. And exposed to wind. Makes no diff which direction she parks car.

- but starting it in morning in driveway, has no problems.

It's a little long in tooth, needs plugs {by miles since last} and new fuel pump (getting 'whiny') And of course will check/replace the obvious...

But has anyone else had this apparent 'cold-blooded' or 'wind-chill' reaction??? ... funny since the temp this AM when she started out was 15 deg colder than just now when she called and complained.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think I would check out the ECT sensor and the connector for the wire harness. Had a couple that acted this way. One had a broken connection ubnside the harness connector at the sensor. Did well most of the time but acted like it was cold natured with a stuck choke sometimes. I don't have a chart with the resistance values for the temperature range handy at the moment.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Well, now that I bought the fuel pump (no, dont think that's the cause, but..) and assoc bric-a-brac, then talk to her further about it...

...I'm betting Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I'll find out when I pull the plugs in the morning.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Wind-chill has no effect on cars (at least after they've sat long enough to reach ambient temperature):

FanJet

yes but it could be a moisture issue. In the driveway its closer to house and might not get the moisture it does out in the open at work...???...

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Well, the problem started manifesting yesterday in the driveway, as well. First time I had seen it.

When it happened again this AM, temp 20F, I had a bright idea.. after I got the engine to where it would run on is own, I got a piece of scrap same weight as a tack hammer and rapped the ISC valve.

Sure enough.. it must have had some gunk in the full retract/closed position, because the engine idle speed promptly picked up.

Now I know! And so do you ... I just LOVE rap and tap troubleshooting!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic