Cold starting question

Last week when the temperature drop below 20 degree C (-11.2F) plus wind chill, my car won't start, it does crank over but won't fire up. I left the car alone for several days outside at work then have it towed to a garage today. Well they got the car started but also said, there is no problem with the car? Battery is still good! This has happened twice to me this year. In general, what does garage typically do when they have solve a cold starting problem?

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Contour with Duratech V6 engine.

Reply to
newsgroup

newsgroup opined in news:xKBJd.1544$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Did you fiddle with the gas pedal after it wouldnt start normally?

I recently had the same problem with my taurus.. would nt start in real cold weather unless i pumped it twice and then floored it.

Pumping feeds more gas, flooring while cranking feeds less.

I cleaned the throttle plate area and the IAC and that fixed it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
newsgroup

newsgroup opined in news:R5MJd.5013$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

the ECM simulates a carburetor for just such (hard-start) reasons during cranking.

Sorry I didnt mention that

That's why directions say dont touch accel while starting, it's generally MORE sensitive to "pumping pedal" than a carb ever was.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Put a couple of cans of HEET or whatever you can find to take water out of your gas lines.

Reply to
Scott