Cold starting question

Last week when the temperature drop below 20 degree C (-11.2F) plus wind chill, my car won't start, it does crank over but won't fire up. I left the car alone for
several days outside at work then have it towed to a garage today. Well they got the car started but also said, there is no problem with the car? Battery is still good! This has happened twice to me this year. In general, what does garage typically do when they have solve a cold starting problem?
Vehicle: 1997 Ford Contour with Duratech V6 engine.
newsgroup opined in

Did you fiddle with the gas pedal after it wouldnt start normally?
I recently had the same problem with my taurus.. would nt start in real cold weather unless i pumped it twice and then floored it.
Pumping feeds more gas, flooring while cranking feeds less.
I cleaned the throttle plate area and the IAC and that fixed it.

with fuel injected car, do you still need to pump gas? Obviously it work for you but is there a pump?

newsgroup opined in

the ECM simulates a carburetor for just such (hard-start) reasons during cranking.
Sorry I didnt mention that
That's why directions say dont touch accel while starting, it's generally MORE sensitive to "pumping pedal" than a carb ever was.

Put a couple of cans of HEET or whatever you can find to take water out of your gas lines.