compatibility

will a ford 1991 cougar 5.0 engine work in a 1997 ford f150 truck?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
you pay..DEAL with it!
dhawk6481 wrote:

Anything is possible with enough $$$.
You will need a donor 1996 F-150 w/ 5.0 harnesses & computers for the OBDII, & probably the transmission. You will have to do some mount & shaft fabrication, even moreso if you are contemplating 4wd.
You will come out FAR ahead getting a salvaged engine that is a perfect replacement - they're quite cheap & plentiful.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

Yeah Rob, it's not too hard if it's the older style with a 5.0. I'm wondering if he has a trashed 4.2L V-6 in the newer style F-150. They seem to be dropping like flies due to coolant leaks into the intake manifold because of flaky seals. Good salvage motors are going for $1.5K-4K if you can even find one. ~$600 or more for one with known intake leaks, but as yet unexploded. I've got 3 customers right now trying to find good used 4.2s. for 1998s. Remans are in the $5K range due to lack of good cores, failure usually takes out the block.
Not without reprogramming the microprocessor.
Mike hunt

dhawk6481 wrote:

Yes, IF the motor was originally a 5.0. That's about when the newer style F-150 came out using the 4.2 or 4.6, I honestly don't remember exactly when. If that is what you have, it won't work. If the truck is still the earlier body style you will need to use the "new" engine as a long block. Reuse the "old" intake and exhaust manifolds, accessory train, oil pan and pickup tube, etc. Basically strip the "new" motor down to the block and heads and reuse everything else from the "old" motor. This would be a great time to completely reseal the new motor. The more I think about it, I think you might have the newer style truck. Are you looking to replace a blown 4.2? If this is the case, no, the 5.0 won't work.