Compression test

Hi,
I'm going to do a compression test and I'm wondering if I'll need additional equipment to perform a cylinder leak down test too. I never did a compression check before but with the service manual and some
advice I imagine It should be fairly easy. My question is can I do both of these tests with the exhaust manifold removed and having the exhaust ports exposed as they are since I have the ex man off because I had to take the turbo out of my 2.0L inline 4 cyl. The engine oil and filter along with the coolant from the radiator has been removed also. Is this a problem for conducting either of these tests? And does the factory service manual usually include instruction on how to do a leak down test?
Thanks for your help, Greg
You only need to remove the spark plugs for either test. The compression test is the simplest of the two. The cylinder leak down test requires a constant souse of compressed air. The proper gauge assembly ( not real expensive ). The most important thing is procedure. For the test to be done properly each cylinder that is being tested is at TDC. Because you are introducing compressed air to the cylinder you need to prevent the piston from moving down, giving you false readings.