Considering buying a new F350 in the next few weeks...

Page 1 of 2
I'm considering buying a new F350 in the next few weeks, F350, diesel, 4x4, DRW, probably a manual transmission.
New 2009 or perhaps leftover 2008 model. Is there anything in particular
to watch out for on these models?
Thanks,
    Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

Other than the problems with them throwing flames out the tailpipes and problems with failing injectors. They seem to be OK.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote:

That first item seems more of a benefit than a problem...
At any rate, I don't seem to have many other vehicle options to look at. GM is not in the running since I blacklisted them a number of years ago. Dodge seems to not be in the running either since until recently they didn't have a crew cab, and the one they now have seems to only be available with a short bed. That seems to leave only Ford in the running.
Pete C. wrote:

Beware of the "non-greaseable" front end and that fact the the electronics of a Ford truck are total shit.
Unfortunately, if you want longevity, a GM truck has a grease-able front end and an Allison transmission.
the flamethrower problem was fixed almost 2 years ago with a reflash of the computer.

There is a very good reason why the F150 and the F Series had been the number one seller for over thirty years and that is because commercial buyers know Ford trucks are simply the best on the market, period

Yet GM sells more pickups than Ford. Go figure. (GM sells pickups under the GMC and Chevolet brands.)
jeff
... GM sells more pickups than Ford. Go figure. (GM sells pickups under the GMC and Chevolet brands.)
Chevy and GMC pickups are virtually identical. When comparing sales figures I often wonder why the Chev/GMC *total* isn't used.
cause gm and chebby sell cars disguised as pickups.

net> wrote in message

.
That doesn't explain why they would be listed seperately.
Or why more people buy Chevy and GMC pickups than ones made by Ford.
Jeff
That easy, apple to pears. The reference is to the number one selling single model, car or truck. GM sells more trucks but with two different model names.
The same reason the Camry is the number one selling car, but GM sell more cars than does Toyota but they have more than one model name on the grill.
When it comes to the total number of trucks Fords "F" Series in number one, not GMs light trucks. Ford sell nearly a million more F150s than Toyota sells Camrys. GM and Ford both sell far more trucks than the Camry, as well. The Tundra and the total Toyota trucks are a far distant fourth place, when it comes to the number of pickups sold.
GM is still number one in total sales, in the US by nearly two million over any other manufacturer

That doesn't explain why they would be listed seperately.
Or why more people buy Chevy and GMC pickups than ones made by Ford.
Jeff

Actually, the F-series is more than one single model. It is several models. Nor, is it comparing apples to pears. The GMC and Chevy trucks are nearly identical.

Toyota sold 1,358,573 cars while GM sold 1,257,481 cars. So Toyota sold more cars than GM.

Nope. For that to happen, Ford would have to sell more than 1,000,000 trucks a year. Last year, Ford sold 515,513 F-series trucks, not all of which were F-150s. Toyota sold 436,617 Camries.
GM sold over 600,000 Sierrae and Silverardos compared to about 515,000 F-series. So GM DOES sell more light trucks than Ford and more full- size pickups.

GM doesn't sell Camries.

Last year, Gm sold 2,955,860 vehicles; Ford sold 1,942,041 vehicles and Toyota 2,955,860 vehicles, Chrysler and Honda about 1.4 million.So GM did not outsell Ford or Honda or Chrylser or Toyota by more than nearly 2,000,000 vehicles.
And Toyota sold 1,358,573 cars while GM sold 1,257,481 cars. So Toyota sold more cars than GM.
Before making claims about sales numbers, you should check your numbers before making a fool of yourself.
Or, as they say, you're better off not speakng and letting us think you are a fool rather than leaving no doubt. In this case, once again, you've left no doubt.
Jeff

What part of "the F150 and the F Series had been the number one seller for over thirty years and that is because commercial buyers know Ford trucks are simply the best on the market, period," did you not understand? Commercial buyers buy far more Ford trucks than the total number of GM trucks. period. LOL
wrote:

Yet GM sells more pickups than Ford. Go figure. (GM sells pickups under the GMC and Chevolet brands.)
jeff

Evidence please. Your statement that GM sells more cars than Toyota has been disproven. So your statements are not worth the electrons they are sent over the internet on.
Jeff

The 350 is a cute truck. Consider this one like my son's:
http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img5635j.jpg
1D10T wrote:

Cute, however beyond the price issue, I expect loading my truck camper would present issues with loading height and jack travel, and even if money was no object I wouldn't go beyond an F550 as I want to stick to the LDT body style, not MDT.
Many of our customers are making the switch to the 6.8 liter.... The 6.4 is nearly $9000 as an option with the 5R110 and fuel consumption (empty) just ain't no screaming shit....
The fuel systems are delicate on the 6.4... we are seeing injector concerns and there is a recall on injectors in some 2008 trucks going on right now. All the same, I would recommend watching for a climbing engine oil level carefully... be aware that "some" gain in crankcase level is considered normal. Careful adherence to fuel filter change schedule is important.
There have been concerns with radiators but these appear to have been addressed.
We've seen many problems with the tensioner for the FEAD belt on the 08s... I am unsure if the 09s are having similar problems or if the tensioner has been updated.
While we are on the subject of belts.... the AC is run by a smaller, second belt... it is a bear to change on a hoist... I wonder what it would be like laying on the ground.... If you work in a lot of mud, the dirt will get into the AC compressor clutch and cause the pulley to bind solid.... The belt will "go away" soon after that.... again - I said a lot of mud - like in the Alberta oil patch...
Having said that, the trucks have plenty of power and are very quiet.
Extreme downside... cab removal is highly recommended for many repair operations.....
HTH

Jim Warman wrote:

Thanks for the info (and others who have responded), I'm making a bunch of notes and expect to visit a couple local dealers Tuesday to poke around and perhaps do a couple test drives, in particular to see if I can tolerate the automatic, since it seems to come along with some other options I want.
Time is my biggest problem, I need to get the new truck in a few weeks. I'd probably be happier if I had time to order one from the commercial side with the more flexible options list, but it seems I'll have to hope to find what I want on the lot somewhere within 500 miles or so.
Of course, the new truck will get a good workout a week or two after I get it on a fully loaded and towing 3,400 mile round trip.
Thanks,
    Pete C.
Jim Warman wrote:

Yeah that cab removal routine is going to be fun for some folks.
What is the current status on the E series Diesels? One of the companies we are looking at for a new rescue is telling us that they are having major problems with them, again.
Personally I'm hoping for a medium duty rig that we can load everything on. The catch there is that many of those rigs are on hold due to the new emissions laws. I know that Mercedes is WAY behind on meeting the new regs. One of the local schools spec'd 5 new buses that have been on hold for 11 months due to a lack of engines. Now Cummins is saying they are thinking of bowing out of the mid sized diesel market and fire apparatus entirely. Something to do with an EPA idle variance test that cannot be met and the new standards on particulate matter.
--
Steve W.