Constantly running cooling fan

Hi,
I have a '88 Ford Escort 1.4(CVH engine) I live in the UK so it is winter now. My problem is, the radiator cooling fan is constantly running. It even runs the moment you turn the ignition first thing on a cold morning.
What would cause this? Is it some sort of thermocouple I need to replace?
TIA Walter
Hi.

Definitely the thermostat. It might have welded itself closed or something like that. It is situated .. well it the other end of one of the wires from the fan.
--
Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.

winter
morning.
Just to clarify, the thermostat and the fan switch are two different things. I'd also suggest you check the fan relay..
-Bruce
Soren Kuula wrote in rec.autos.tech

The thermostat is a heat operated valve that opens when the coolant in the engine reaches operating temperature. I has no electricity running to, or through, it. It does not weld itself closed, or open. When it fails it will either remain partially open and the engine will take forever to warm up, or it will open late and the engine will run real hot and then suddenly cool. What you probably mean is that the temperature sensor for the fan has failed, and the contacts on it are welded closed. Which is the most likely cause of the problem. It is fairly common for the power for the fan to run directly through the sensor.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

Could be the sensor or relay that turns the fan on provided the temps are cold when it's on....
But check to see if the AC is accidently turned on... tonight I noticed the cooling fan was on when the engine was cold in my winter car... I wondered why and figured I have to chase that down.... then I noticed the AC button had been pushed accidently. I turned off the AC and heard the fan click off.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) writes:

I seriously doubt that a 1988 1.4 liter UK spec Escort would have A/C.

Thomas
snipped-for-privacy@Hax.SE.remove-to-reply says...

Eeeeww - 1.4L? Sheesh, I had a U.S. built 1.6L and it was the worst engine I've ever come across.
In any case, I'm wondering if someone didn't do the usual trick when the fan relay system dies - that is wire around it so the fan just runs constantly.
Walter wrote:

winter
morning.
Too right, no need for AC here....
Problem sorted! Got myself replacement sensor that fits onto thermostat housing, Works a treat. Only cost a few quid too.
Walt