contour 98 interference engine??

I would like to know if it's worth installing a new belt on a 2.0 liter engine ?? Timing belt broke-up . Are these engines considered interference engines?? I don't want to install a new belt if it's absolutely sure that
the valves are bent . Has anyone here ever had a broken t-belt on one of these 2.0 liter dohc engines?? Regards
Contour has 2 engines.....
I-4 is not an interference engine and uses a timing belt and to be complete.....V-6 is an interference egine and uses a timing chain...

Has i said in the previous message this a 2.0 liter z-tec engine, books say it is an interference one, but i'd like to know if anyone experienced that before ,without damaging the valves ......... Thanks

interference
that
Oupsssssssssss ........... As i said .... !!!! sorry about my orthograph :))!
de

liter
dohc
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:49:53 -0500, "Garage Richard Faille"

What book are you talking about? I called 3 different Ford dealers on this very subject (98 Contour 2.0, timing belt replacement schedule) and was given three different intervals for changing this belt. When I physically went to the 4th one in Laurens, SC, the shop supervisor showed me in the Ford repair manual where the 2.0 was a NON-interference engine, but also showed that the timing belt should only be *checked* every 120,000 miles. I called Ford CS to ask about this and was told that the belt is "designed for the life of the vehicle". So I put two plus two together and figure that it must be a non-interference engine and that's why Ford feels safe in only recommending checking the belt at 120k, and not changing it. So if that's all that's wrong with it, I think I'd give it a shot.
You might benefit from going to www.contour.org.
Great info.

interference
that
Going by what's on the Gates Belt site your engine isn't interference. They suggest replacement at 60k, did one for SWMBO at 80k with no problems. (and didn't have to go to www.contour.org)
Happy modeming, Bill
I have read all post up to this time and date ... I can tell you that if you POP a timing belt at +60 MPH, haul it home and replace the belt, it will start and run...(if you get the crank, intake cam , and exhaust cam timing set). You will need to remove the "right side" moter mount to remove the timing cover(s)...
S Cambron 98 Contoue 120,000+ miles
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:22:00 -0500, "Garage Richard Faille"

My kudos!
You apparently are a fast learner... now about that O2 sensor replacement got to the library and read up!
I guess you CAN find the 171 problem yourself