contour 98 interference engine??

I would like to know if it's worth installing a new belt on a 2.0 liter engine ?? Timing belt broke-up . Are these engines considered interference engines?? I don't want to install a new belt if it's absolutely sure that the valves are bent . Has anyone here ever had a broken t-belt on one of these 2.0 liter dohc engines?? Regards

Reply to
Garage Richard Faille

Contour has 2 engines.....

I-4 is not an interference engine and uses a timing belt and to be complete.....V-6 is an interference egine and uses a timing chain...

Has i said in the previous message this a 2.0 liter z-tec engine, books say it is an interference one, but i'd like to know if anyone experienced that before ,without damaging the valves ......... Thanks "j" a écrit dans le message de news: f3dnb.111$ snipped-for-privacy@news.on.tac.net...

interference

Reply to
Garage Richard Faille

Oupsssssssssss ........... As i said .... !!!! sorry about my orthograph :))! "Garage Richard Faille" a écrit dans le message de news: Pxfnb.3403$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Garage Richard Faille

What book are you talking about? I called 3 different Ford dealers on this very subject (98 Contour 2.0, timing belt replacement schedule) and was given three different intervals for changing this belt. When I physically went to the 4th one in Laurens, SC, the shop supervisor showed me in the Ford repair manual where the 2.0 was a NON-interference engine, but also showed that the timing belt should only be *checked* every 120,000 miles. I called Ford CS to ask about this and was told that the belt is "designed for the life of the vehicle". So I put two plus two together and figure that it must be a non-interference engine and that's why Ford feels safe in only recommending checking the belt at 120k, and not changing it. So if that's all that's wrong with it, I think I'd give it a shot.

Reply to
The Ghost of General Lee

You might benefit from going to

Great info.

Reply to
Jeff

interference

Going by what's on the Gates Belt site your engine isn't interference. They suggest replacement at 60k, did one for SWMBO at 80k with no problems. (and didn't have to go to

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

I have read all post up to this time and date ... I can tell you that if you POP a timing belt at +60 MPH, haul it home and replace the belt, it will start and run...(if you get the crank, intake cam , and exhaust cam timing set). You will need to remove the "right side" moter mount to remove the timing cover(s)...

S Cambron

98 Contoue 120,000+ miles
Reply to
scambron

My kudos!

You apparently are a fast learner... now about that O2 sensor replacement got to the library and read up!

I guess you CAN find the 171 problem yourself

scambron opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@NEWS.CHESAPEAKE.NET:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic