Control arm bushing

Page 1 of 2
Welp..... first I sent to my regular mechanic who said boot was torn, but bushing was OK. I saw the torn bushing while on the lift and looked around and specifically asked about bushings because I was hearing metal
moving when making sharp turns. Naturally it was turning smooth for him - and never made any unusual noises since then.
He doesn't sell tires and couldn't refer anyone. So next, I went to a tire dealer bought 2 tires and alignment. He said same thing - boot torn. Bushings and all other suspension parts OK. I specifically told him to look for any repairs needed. This is the place that didn't get the pull out of the steering and I ended up taking it back to re-do it. Was straight after doing 2nd time.
Last week, I bought 2 rear tires at a different dealer and had them check front end. I picked it up after the shop closed and could not see it on the rack. Mechanic said toe was way in, past specs. Needed alignment but must get cracked control arm bushing fixed first. I had not told them any stories so I could get it fresh from them.
So here I am today. Car runs straight - no drifting to one side and no brakes pulling. All three of these shops are decent places. But I need to know if anything needs to be fixed before I ruin some new tires.
Any wise ideas? I'll dig up the alignment numbers and post.
Corrections..... I forgot some stuff.... just throw that first post in the can.....
in message Welp..... first I sent to my regular mechanic who said boot was torn, but bushing was OK. I saw the torn bushing while on the lift and looked around and specifically asked about bushings because I was hearing metal moving when making sharp turns. Naturally it was turning smooth for him - and never made any unusual noises since then.
He doesn't sell tires and couldn't refer anyone. So next, I went to a tire dealer ** DID NOT buy 2 tires, but DID GET alignment. He said same thing - boot torn. Bushings and all other suspension parts OK. I specifically told him to look for any repairs needed. This is the place that didn't get the pull out of the steering and I ended up taking it back to re-do it. Still pulled, and they said it was the tire -- possibly band separated. They didn't have my first tire choice so I went to another dealer and got 2 front tires. No time for alignment that time but car ran straight with no drifting.
A few days later, I went back and bought 2 rear tires. Then had them check everything underneath. I picked it up after the shop closed and could not see it on the rack. Mechanic said toe was way in, past specs. Needed alignment but must get cracked control arm bushing fixed first. I had not told them any stories so I could get it fresh from them.
So here I am today. Car runs straight - no drifting to one side and no brakes pulling. All three of these shops are decent places. But I need to know if anything needs to be fixed before I ruin some new tires.
Any wise ideas? I'll dig up the alignment numbers and post.
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:04:03 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Too late. I already read it. No time to read the correct one.

This was the same in the first post. Do you mean torn boot? It's hard to tear a bushing.

Don 't worry about it until it gets worse. Then you and they will be able to find it. it could take years.

[...]

A very practical feller! I tried making the front in clink or clank, but still quiet as long as there is a lot of traffic noise, or the radio is up full blast. Or when the lovely wife is riding along in a story-telling mood -- these are always really, really short trips as much as possible.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 10:40:40 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

Yeah- I guess i got my mords wixed up.
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:37:07 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

My 96 2wd Ranger has 337000km on it with all original front end parts Those twin I beam front ends are pretty well bullet-proof. The bushing you are worried about is the one at the back of the radius rods? Is there any slop in the bushing? (put a com-along on the beam, back to the frame and see how much it moves)

they

OK, I'm about ready to throw in the towel with this van and get a bicycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all around. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every mechanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to take it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, even paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.
Going to another indept show is out of the question. Any other ideas how to proceed with this?
wrote in

Get a bicycle in any case. :)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Switch front tires left to right to see if the problem follows the tire or stays where it is. Also check to see if the brakes are dragging or lagging (both front wheels off the ground, spin the wheels, have someone slowly apply the brakes with one person turning each wheel - does one apply sooner than the other? Rerlease brakes - does one reman "stiff". My suspicion is brakes....

+1
--
Tekkie

Car is consistently pulling to the left now. I check tire pressure tonight and all are even.
Last time I had this kind of problem it was when Pep Boys incompetent mechanics installed 2 tires. They claimed it was anything from bushings to wheel bearings. I took it to a "reputable" tire place and they re-balanced them. Still vibrated. Then took it to the Ford dealer who said they each had several weights on the tires, took all of them off and balanced the tires. No vibration after that.
So I'll take it to the Ford dealer again.....
What ever happened to competent mechanics??
wrote:

not

can they

parts

bushing

Is

bicycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all around. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every mechanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to take it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, even paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.

ideas how to proceed with this?

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 20:22:07 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Snuffy - have you switched tires right to left yet???? This is the simplest way to diagnose your problem..
Does the pull change when you touch the brakes? Have you checked for brake drag? Does one wheel get hotter than the other??
Check these items FIRST before paying the dealer or any other mechanic - particularly the "guessers" you have been using.
Aerostars are known for brake calipers sticking - either on the sliders or the pistons - particularly if brake fluid has not been changed on an adequate schedule. The fluid absorbs water and rusts the pistons/ caliper bores.
If the brake slides are not lubricated at least annually the sliders tend to stick too - both of which can cause the brakes to "hang" - and causing a pull to the side with the bad caliper - which changes (either lessens or pulls to the other side) under moderate braking.
This is if switching the tires does not solve the problem.

ght and all are even.

chanics installed 2 tires. They claimed it was anything from bushings to w heel bearings. I took it to a "reputable" tire place and they re-balanced them. Still vibrated. Then took it to the Ford dealer who said they each had several weights on the tires, took all of them off and balanced the tir es. No vibration after that.

not

can they

parts

shing

Is

icycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all arou nd. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every m echanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to tak e it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, eve n paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.

as how to proceed with this?

Clare, I don't think he reads ANY of your excellent advice. If he does he ignores it. After all, what would you know; after being there a zillion times.
--
Tekkie

His loss. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

today, not

specs. How can they

front end parts

The bushing

rods? Is

beam, back to

get a bicycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all around. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every mechanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to take it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, even paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.

other ideas how to proceed with this?

the

are

the

turning

brakes....

mechanic

the

does he

zillion

Yep, I read every one and try to reply when some problem is resolved. I got the tips on brakes binding, swapping tires left to right, etc., the first time. I appreciate all the suggestions but not practical to post "I tried it and it didn't work" or "It did work" every time.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:10:13 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Without knowing what has and has not been tried - therfore knowing what is or is not definitively ruled out as being the problem, NOBODY can give you any meaningful advice.

bushings today, not

specs. How can they

front end parts

bullet-proof. The bushing

radius rods? Is

beam, back to

and get a bicycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all around. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every mechanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to take it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, even paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.

other ideas how to proceed with this?

follows the

are

the

person turning

brakes....

the

mechanic

been

rusts the

does he

zillion

drink

I got the tips on brakes binding, swapping tires left to right, etc., the first time. I appreciate all the suggestions but not practical to post "I tried it and it didn't work" or "It did work" every time.

I agree completely! I always appreciate the good advice from you, Tekkie and a great many other fine folks here. When a lot of people reply, I didn't want to overload the newsgroup with follow ups and one word replies of thanks.
Tekkie® wrote:

If they are non directional tires. Since when start pulling to the left? No local front end specialty shop?

not

can they

parts

bushing

Is

bicycle.... LOL! Air pressure is holding fine and same pressure all around. Just started pulling to the left. I have lost confidence with every mechanic I have seen about this pulling problem. Last resort will be to take it to the (drum roll) Ford dealer. If they can isolate the problem, even paying twice the regular cost will be worth it in the long run.

ideas how to proceed with this?

turning

brakes....

left?

New tires put on about a month ago and no pulling. Just started last week. Have only driven on smooth roads, no potholes, curbs, etc.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:52:20 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Whay kind of tires? Tires do fail. Switch from side to side to confirm. Not rocket science.