conversion (gas to diesel)

i have a 1979 ford f150 with 400 v8. i am converting it to a diesel. i am putting a 2000 7.3 liter turbo powerstroke motor in. any help or advice would be much appreciated.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.ford / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
Don't do it!
After having done three different complete carburetor to efi conversions, I can tell you, it is NOT worth it, unless you simply love doing it, and want to dump way more money than the truck can ever be worth into it. Sell the gas truck and buy a different truck with a factory diesel engine in it. Seriously, please DON'T waste your time and money.
That being said; Here is a quick list of some of the major items you will need. Basically you will need a complete donor truck.
Diesel engine Engine mounts (and stands?) Transmission Computer Complete wiring harness Complete fuel system Fuel tank Fuel lines Fuel pump Fuel pump cutoff inertia switch Fuel gauge (one of my conversions used different and opposite resistance values, so I had to put the newer truck fuel gauge into the dash of the older truck) What a pain in the ass...
There is more, but it is late & I'm tired.
Good Luck

What nobody said.... this would be an ambitious project - and require an ambitious wallet.... To add insult to injury, you will find the turbo on the 2000 calims more real estate than the early ones and firewall clearance may become an issue.... This is not a project that I would consider for myself....

ESPECIALLY on an F150. Save these expensive swaps on a 3/4 ton or larger truck.
FUGADDABOUDIT!

a powerstroke is a big challenge, due to the computer. an easier approach would be an earlier IDI diesel. either way, go to www.fordtrucks.com , and search the forums. there are a bunch of guys that have done the conversion, and can help you