Coolant Level Sensor

My coolant level sensor in the coolant reservoir has burned out...

Anyone know the bestest, cheapest way to replace it?

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

Without knowing what car (Make, model, year, engine), it is hard to tell.

The best, cheapest way to replace it is to replace it under warranty. Ford had a problem with coolant level sensors in Ford Contours and Mercury Mystiques. They ended up replacing the entire revervoir, because they couldn't replace the sensor without changing the whole thing.

If you have one of these cars, you might be able to get Ford to replace it free (or if your car is still under warranty).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

U-pull-it junkyard part.

Reply to
scott_z500

What do you need that for anyway? Just keep the resevoir topped off between the MIN and MAX lines.

Unless of course you have other problems like leaking coolant and are too lazy to fix...

Reply to
sleepdog

The sensor is malfunctioning... even when full with 50-50 coolant/water, it still ends an "empty" signal or should I say it sends no signal to the idiot light controller.

Reply to
Steve Forrester

1993 Mustang 5.0
Reply to
Steve Forrester

Before I would replace the sensor, I'd try cleaning it and the electrical connection first.

Reply to
scott_z500

Been there... Done that!!!

Reply to
Steve Forrester

they are prone to failure cannot clean them buy a new one used would be futile

Reply to
barney rubble

Thanks for the heads up!

Reply to
Steve Forrester

See the connector on the coolant level sensor? Unplug it and the false signals will cease. If your cooling system is in proper working order and resevior level checked periodically you should be Ok.

Reply to
sleepdog

I will certainly try that, but I would have thought a disconnected connector would give the same "no signal" as the malfunctioning electrodes causing the LOW COOLANT light to remain lit.

Reply to
Steve Forrester

My sensor was hosed and I could only get my low coolant light to work when I jumped the connector with a paper clip.

Reply to
sleepdog

Do you mean... you could only get the light to go off when the connector was jumped with a paper clip?

Reply to
Steve Forrester

No, opposite. I was following the debug procedure listed for my car on alldata, to confirm the light worked. I wasn't having a problem with the light or sensor, was just a 15 year old car and I was curious if the sensor/light worked anymmore. Turned out the sensor was bad. The float contact was rusted into the sensor and I could not get a continuity reading between the two terminals.

In my case, a 1990 Escort GT, I think the circuit happened to be wired such that if it failed it would just be left open. Bad sensor, no effect on powering the light. Your sensor circuit might be wired to "fail closed". Bad sensor, light's on. Just a guess.

But if that is the case a paper clip inserted into the connector wrapped with some electrical tape should do the trick temporarily to shut off the light. Worth a try at least.

Just an FYI, at this point in the life of your car you might start running into assorted electrical problems (i.e., dirty contacts, rust, corrosion, failed components) and some wiring diagrams will prove to be extremely helpful. Suggest getting an alldatadiy account, best $25 I ever spent on my old car.

Reply to
sleepdog

I was wrong and you were right...

Now that the sensor is disconnected, is the absense of any signal to the computer going to confuse the car's "brain"?

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

You are right, again... I am having assorted random electrical problems and will most definitely be following your advice.

Thanks, again!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

Check the wiring diagrams but I don't think this circuit would go through the car's computer. I think it's a straight ahead analog circuit to power the light on the dash.

Power -> sensor -> light -> ground

There are some really great ways to confuse the car's brain (TP sensor comes to mind) but this shouldn't be one of them.

Reply to
sleepdog

I will do that...

Thanks, again!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

dont be a tard pull the bulb BEFORE you SHORT something out a sensor may have RESISTANCE

a paperclip is no SUSTITUTE for wire makes for a nice fire if it gets hot

play safe with wires only YOU can prevent a fire

hurc ast

Reply to
barney rubble