coolant system refuses to pump fluid ('93 explorer)

Last week I replaced the freeze plug in my block that corroded and started leaking. This was after it literally draining my coolant system while driving. Long story short (don't want to repeat it again), my hopes were that nothing else bad happened when I lost the coolant. It ran for maybe 2-3 minutes after the leak happened. I was only a couple blocks from home.

So after replacing with a brass plug, I filled the system back up with coolant. When I run the car now, fluid seems to be blocked or not pumping. My heater core lines are not getting hot fluid to them, and I get no heat. And the water temp guage reads nothing. Since both no heat and no temp reading, I'm assuming no water is getting to the top of the intake. When I look in the radiator, none of the water in it has been pulled into the block (my entire system was drained when replacing the freeze plug).

Where would my next logical place to look be?

I had an inclination to remove my thermostat altogether to allow water flow. But should I check the pump instead (that will be a pain)? The pump is about 2 years old, and still looks newish. I replaced the heater core and all lines a couple weeks ago. The thermostat I replaced when I replaced my cracked heads about 2 months ago (it seemed to work fine then).

I had thought about just removing the belt, and trying to spin the pump by hand. Just to make sure is wasn't binding. Any other ideas?

Regards,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Brancato

tom

I let it run for a while. After about 5 mins from cold start idling, I shut it off. I didn't want water to rush tothe heads and crack them.

I removed the heater core line, but now luck. Should I pour some down top heater core line that runs into the intake? this would give me something behind the thermo stat.

Also, the heater core l> how long did you let it run after filling it back up?? you have an air

Reply to
Mike Brancato

Reply to
Mike Brancato

Reply to
Anonymous

what kind of car do you have??????

Reply to
jim

YES

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Mike Brancato

Mike Brancato wrote in news:lqNyc.90082$Ly.54711@attbi_s01:

You have to do the heater line bleeding while running. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff