coolant system refuses to pump fluid ('93 explorer)

Last week I replaced the freeze plug in my block that corroded and started leaking. This was after it literally draining my coolant system while driving. Long story short (don't want to repeat it again), my
hopes were that nothing else bad happened when I lost the coolant. It ran for maybe 2-3 minutes after the leak happened. I was only a couple blocks from home.
So after replacing with a brass plug, I filled the system back up with coolant. When I run the car now, fluid seems to be blocked or not pumping. My heater core lines are not getting hot fluid to them, and I get no heat. And the water temp guage reads nothing. Since both no heat and no temp reading, I'm assuming no water is getting to the top of the intake. When I look in the radiator, none of the water in it has been pulled into the block (my entire system was drained when replacing the freeze plug).
Where would my next logical place to look be?
I had an inclination to remove my thermostat altogether to allow water flow. But should I check the pump instead (that will be a pain)? The pump is about 2 years old, and still looks newish. I replaced the heater core and all lines a couple weeks ago. The thermostat I replaced when I replaced my cracked heads about 2 months ago (it seemed to work fine then).
I had thought about just removing the belt, and trying to spin the pump by hand. Just to make sure is wasn't binding. Any other ideas?
Regards,
Mike
how long did you let it run after filling it back up?? you have an air bubble under the thermostat that is keeping it from opening. make sure the radiator is full, put a gallon or two of coolant in the back seat as insurance and go for a hard ride for a few miles. after about 2 min., you will see the temp go to real high, then back to low, then back high again, then it should go to normal. what will happen is the coolant will get real hot and open the tstat, giving you a hot reading, then it should suck in cold from the radiator and close till it gets hot again, then you will read normal

I let it run for a while. After about 5 mins from cold start idling, I shut it off. I didn't want water to rush tothe heads and crack them.
I removed the heater core line, but now luck. Should I pour some down top heater core line that runs into the intake? this would give me something behind the thermo stat.
Also, the heater core lines aren't dependent on the thermostat from what I can tell. The top line feed comes straight off the lower air intake just like the radiator return does.
tom wrote:

YES

You have to do the heater line bleeding while running. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

no luck. the hose stayed completely dry. no sign that water ever flowed thru those new hoses either.
<<Joe>> wrote:

Mike Brancato wrote:

what kind of car do you have??????
It's in the subject. '93 explorer 4.0 pushrod (non-sohc)