Cooling fan relay

Page 1 of 2
Have 1990 ford tempo GL with cooling fan that won't start ,Had thought it was the sensors .Changed bolh of them and still wont start fan at higher than normal temps .Tested the fan and it runs ,My next question is where do
they put the relay for the Fan ? And about how much would that fix be .Thanks Chevy -man

before you buy anymore unneeded parts. If you have the know-how to test the fan, you should be able to diagnos it with the aid of a book/wiring diagrams. Relays arent very expensive(unless you dont need them)
With the key on, hook a jumper wire between the 2 connections on the temperature switch on the thermostat housing. This should cause the relay to click.
I have had Fords of this era where you can hear the relay clicking under the hood. Others seem to click inside.
In any case, if it's not clicking, then you can be fairly certain that it IS the relay that's causing the trouble.
If your temp switch is working you can rig up any ol' generic relay (rated at least 30 amps) to switch the fan on and off. That would save you having to locate the factory relay if the click test doesn't work.

You should find the relay next to the left headlamp. Bob

its a 1990 car ... i say get a toggle switch and switch it yourself...
Ken

hehe its what i would do... or make it so it runs all the time....when ignition is on. who cares? It wont affect the running of the car that much.
Ken

It would be easier and probably cheaper just to repair it correctly if the fan motor is still good. Why make a cobble job out of something so easily just repaired? Bob

if the relay or a wire to or from the relay is shot... it is cheaper and quicker my way... and yes it is a cobble job.. its a 1990 car.. why dump any money into it!
Get a cheap toggle switch somewhere and 10 ft of wire.. 5 dollars..
thats what i would do... if it were a 2002 model i would fix it right and spend the extra money. the car may only last another 1/2 year who knows.. damn thing prolly dont need a fan anyway... as long as he isnt sitting idling while its warm out.
Ken

Don't forget you'll have to drill a hole through the firewall to run those wires. Cheaper, maybe, easier.... I don't think so. Bob

I ran wires though my door.... never had a problem.. that was on a 93 dodge spriit... i ran the wires to the fog lights... up to the top of the engine compartment.. then down where the door opens./.. i checked for clearences... did not have to use a drill at all.
It is a slop job but the car is old... it may die tomarrow or last a year... if it were me honestly... i wouldnt bother with anything unless you sit in a lot of traffic on hot hot hot days
Ken

The best thing someone could do for your vehicles is to hide your tools. Bob

Maybe Santa will TAKE his tools ?

Bob
sure make fun i dont care... but im the best at rigging stuff to get me by... why spend money when you can rig something a lot cheaper...
i do what i want to my cars... i made suggestions for somebody else to try that if they dont want to they dont have to.
Why pay some mechanic to do 10 minutes worth of work? and pay them for an hour? why buy parts that cost 100 dollars where u can buy something else for 5???
im good with tools... there are times when i fix things properly... but when it comes to rigging and saving a few bucks im good at that too.
Ken

out and starts a fire. The first thing you'll do is file an insurance claim and then we all have to pay for your stupidity. Why anyone would cobble something together when the right fix is so easy escapes me. Bob
Could make it run too cool, it is also a drag on the engine/charging system. Penny wise pound foolish.

bunyon wrote:

relay for the fan(and alot of other things all in one box ) is located right under the plastic panel over the radiator.. it cost about $150 at auto zone, and probalby is not the problem with your car.... but you can take off the wires relay and make sure its clean and put it back on and then take off the relay box and scratch where its attached to the car to make sure it get a good ground.....you probably gonna need the shop manual and electrical manual from Helm, Inc.. www.helminc.com they cost about $65 for the shop manual and $35 for the electrical manual.... thats what i needed to get my electrical system working on a taurus...and thats with 40 yrs. of working on cars.. if i was just starting then i probably would not have fixed it not being familar with troubleshooting.....

For the most part Tempos just use a regular relay with the exception of those equipped with a 3.0 engine which used the IRCM like your Taurus. Bob