Correct collant temprature? 99 Taurus

I have been unable to determine the correct coolant temperature for a 99 Taurus (V6 3.0 Ltr). The Owners manual has just capacities, the Haynes manual doesn't specify. Anyone know where I can get this info?

I suspect that it's running a little too hot. I fitted a CarChip OBDII diagnostic tool and it shows it running with a temperature of 205 degrees F after just 5 minutes of driving in January temperatures (30's and 40's right now). Before condemning the thermostat it would be nice to know what temperature it's meant to be fully open at.

Advice and info welcome.

JP

Reply to
JP White

203 degrees F as measured by my Davis DriveRight CarChip.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Thanks for the quick response and confirmation of temperature.

JP

Reply to
JP White

JP White opined in news:1n7Nd.32782$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

That's not at all too hot! What makes you think it is, and what are you worried about?

Bet your thermostat says 196 deg.. that's when it opens..but not FULLY open! And the sensor will be a little hotter than that...

IMO, you are seeing everthing working well.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hmm, one wonders how accurate those sensors are. From the little experience that I have with thermistors, getting down to 2 degrees or so requires individual calibration, even over a smaller temperature range than exists in an automotive cooling system. Obviously no individual calibration here. Anybody know the specifications?

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Reply to
pick one

As long as the fan turns on to cool the coolant, when is that, 220 deg F?

Reply to
sleepdog

Glad to hear it. Without being able to find a specification I was not sure. Other cars I have run slightly cooler, but that may be by design.

If it's working to spec then that's fine.

There is a problem I'm troubleshooting and I'm looking at all possibilities. The car hesitates at 40-45, it almost feels like a miss, but probably not since no codes have been set by the engine. So if it's not missing maybe it's fuel. Fuel filter replaced and throttle body cleaned 3K ago so I am looking for anything out of the ordinary that may make the engine behave this way. Car has 66K miles. Any ideas at what to look for next?

JP

Reply to
JP White

JP White opined in news:0poNd.33766$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

do a google search on boil temps at your system pressure, and adjust based on your glycol mix. should not be a problem unless you get within 10 deg of that (the margin is to prevent hot-spot boiling) and adjust based on your glycol mix

First, make sure it's not associated with OD shifting.

Next, what plugs are you using and is this at cruise (speed maintain.."feathered") or under acceleration?

Assume the cyl test returns nothing wrong... but still could happen with certain aftermarket plugs (feathered throttle)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic