Cost guess replacing engine on 98 Escort?

Hi all,
I'm looking at an engine replacement on a 98 Escort, and I'd like a little info on what I should expect to pay. (I'm waiting for the estimate right now).
Checking around (e.g. eBay), the going rate for a refurb engine (SOHC) seems to be ~$400, somewhat less for a "worked before we pulled it out" engine. The service center said they don't mind us buying the engine and they'll put it in for us, but I don't want them to pad the "labor" side of the equation too much when I get the quote - what is a reasonable number of hours for this job?
Thanks much for any advice.