Cost to replace Power Steering pump

Hi, I have a leaking power steering pump on my 97 Taurus. Does anyone have any idea what the cost is (on average) to replace one of these? Also, do any of those power steering fluid sealers really work? Thanks...

Reply to
Steve

Where is it leaking? It makes a difference. Could be the pump or the hoses. You might want to spray it all down with engine degreaser and see where the fresh fluid is before doing anything. Sealer won't help much if its what i think it is.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

If the pump leaks but works fine otherwise all it needs is a seal kit. They run about $10 Bob

Reply to
Bob

If the whole pump is bad what do they charge to change them?

Thanks...

Reply to
Steve

I Had to replace the pump on my '96 3.0 ohv v6 Taurus wagon. The the pump its self I found in a salvage yard for $40. And spent a hell of a lot of time taking things off to put it on. Belt, pulleys, Alt.,overflow bottle, and lots of bolts. A good way to kill a Saturday. It did come in handy to learn how to do this for when the water pump dies. Right now I have a busted line stearing line from a little off road driving. That might run $100-200 to replace at a shop with a lift. The sealer stuff is only good for small leaks.

Reply to
Tiger

it will run you about $ 88.00 for the pump its better to go to a junk yard and find agood used one.

Reply to
Ernie Guiterrez

And how do you tell a good used one from a bad used one? Bob

Reply to
Bob