Cost to replace Power Steering pump

Hi, I have a leaking power steering pump on my 97 Taurus. Does anyone have any idea what the cost is (on average) to replace one of these? Also, do any of those power steering fluid sealers really work?
Thanks...
Steve wrote:

Could be the pump or the hoses. You might want to spray it all down with engine degreaser and see where the fresh fluid is before doing anything. Sealer won't help much if its what i think it is.
Bob

run about $10 Bob
If the whole pump is bad what do they charge to change them?
Thanks...

It depends on which engine you have and what your shops hourly rate is. If you posted which engine you have I could give you list price on the pump and how much time the labor guide gives to replace it. The problem is that your shop isn't bound to do it for that figure, in fact they can charge whatever they want so you need to call around and get some estimates. The best bet though is to use the shop that your friends say good things about. Those that just go with the cheapest estimate "usually" get what they paid for, on the other hand the shop that charges the most won't always do the best job. When it comes to car repairs a smart shopper looks more at reputation than price. Bob

it will run you about $ 88.00 for the pump its better to go to a junk yard and find agood used one.

Bob
Steve wrote:

I Had to replace the pump on my '96 3.0 ohv v6 Taurus wagon. The the pump its self I found in a salvage yard for $40. And spent a hell of a lot of time taking things off to put it on. Belt, pulleys, Alt.,overflow bottle, and lots of bolts. A good way to kill a Saturday. It did come in handy to learn how to do this for when the water pump dies. Right now I have a busted line stearing line from a little off road driving. That might run $100-200 to replace at a shop with a lift. The sealer stuff is only good for small leaks.