Cougar Traction

Hi,,
Sometime last week on a rainy day, I saw a girl driving a Cougar something like a 95 model. As she took off from the light, i heard which was her rear
wheel spinning but the car was hardly moving. Are these cars supose to have traction where both rear wheels turn?
Thanks

Almost no rear wheel drive cars have, locking rearends from the factory without special ordering it as an option...
Is locking rearends the same as when the dealer has a limited slip differential option?

I was referring to it that way, some will argue that "Locking" is true mechanical locking like a "Detroit locker", not a clutch operated "limited slip" like the car manufactures offer. Both methods direct power to both axels rather than only to the axel with the least resistance like an open differential does.
And you are right the limited slip differential is an option, not standard equipment...

Depends on where one lives. Nearly every dealer, in the snow belt, ordered their cars with the Traction Lox axle. It was only $100.
mike hunt
351CJ wrote:

That makes sense. Mind you, I only saw the car by one side. The other tire was probably spinning aswell.
It was so loud I'm sure she had it floored thinking she would take off faster. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a girl floor a car.

Black Bomb wrote:

;)
In dry roads I never saw a girl floor a car, but in winter I saw a whole bunch with rear drives. Most of them succeeded, just pinned it out, avoid the shovels.

It is still an option at an additional charge NOT stranded equipment...

There aren't many rear wheel drive cars left out there apart from 4x4's.

Actually there are quite a few. A near half dozen new RWD models came on the market in the past few years, some replacing vehicles that were previous FWD. Even more are coming over the next few years, as well. Manufactures are discovering many drivers, particularly of sport and luxury cars, prefer RWD over FWD because of RWD superior handling at speed.
mike hunt
Black Bomb wrote:

What about all the 2 wheel drive trucks that are out selling cars?? Aren't they rear wheel drive???
--
Steve
=========
351CJ wrote:

Duh! Mike! What part of 'Almost no rear wheel drive cars have, locking rearends from the factory without special ordering it as an option... ' didn't you understand?
Please, Do try to follow along...