Cracked applique

Wife 2003 Exploer has a cracked Applique. the crack is from the back window down to the ford logo. total about 2 inches.

Been reading on the internet and I guess this is what happen. Not sure what an Applique is. How important is it to have this fixed? When I read the whold TSB sounds like they are just painting over it and not replaceing the applique. Will the back window fall out? Does not look like it will. I don't want to pay to have it fixed just so it can crack again in a year or 2 since it seem this seems to happen to alot of people.

Ford wants me to buy part# 1L2Z78402A30CAPTM for $58.71 and 1L2z7842528AA for $28.80 Then, get this goto Chevy dealer in town to have them install it and paint it. Which i know that will cost some more money.

From TSB Some 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles may exhibit a damaged/cracked plastic applique without liftgate glass damage.

ACTION: Replace the applique as necessary. It is no longer necessary to replace the entire liftgate glass assembly to correct this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Reply to
goodman

If the truck is in warranty, they should pay for it.

If not, I would complain to Ford.

It also seems weird that you have to go to a Chevy dealer. It my be a dealership owned by the same people, though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff