crown vic

I have a 99 ford crown victoria and I am having a strange problem Everytime it is real humid out or I get water under the hood for any reason the car wont stay on. I will turn tghe key and it will start
but the secon you let the key go it will cut off unless you hold down the gas. I know it is related to moisture because the car works fine after it dries up.
thanks for the help!
your idle air control is bad.

Probably the first thing to suspect is ignition. Assuming that your '99 still uses spark wires (and not the newer coil-on plug system), those are overdue for replacement. Also, the 4.6L engine has the spark plugs facing up, which makes the wells susceptible to moisture. I would blow them with compressed air and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to the plug and the seal at the top of the well. While at it, it's probably a good idea to replace the plugs, even if at much less than the stated 100K miles.

harezichi wrote:

Replace the COP boots; moisture is getting in there and grounding the coils. Use silicone dielectric tune-up grease on the insides of the new boots.
Where are the COP boots?
"Sharon Cooke" wrote: > harezichi wrote: > > I have a 99 ford crown victoria and I am having a strange > problem > > Everytime it is real humid out or I get water under the hood > for any > > reason the car wont stay on. I will turn tghe key and it > will start > > but the secon you let the key go it will cut off unless you > hold down > > the gas. I know it is related to moisture because the car > works fine > > after it dries up. > > > > thanks for the help! > > Replace the COP boots; moisture is getting in there and > grounding the > coils. Use silicone dielectric tune-up grease on the insides > of the new > boots.
"CoilOverPlug"

you pay..DEAL with it!
harezichi wrote:

sparkplug at each cylinder. If the boots aren't there, you've definitely found the problem. :)
Sharon Cooke wrote:

Wouldn't they short out on the engine block if the boot wasn't there to prevent the spring touching the block ?
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

El Bandito wrote:

They would, but the more common occurrence is this (see pix): http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/cop/fordv8v10.htm#pic1
Sharon Cooke wrote:

Yeah, my friend's Towncar had one of those failures...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

harezichi wrote:

bottom of the coil itself (the rubber part)
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!