Crown Vic Heater Core

Hi,

How much of a horror is it to change the heater core in a 94 Crown Victoria? I'm thinking of buying one, but I heard labor is $500 just to change the heater core. Is it a job that a shadetree mech can do in a day ? I heard the dash has to come out !

Also, what sort of mpg highway can I get in the 4.3 Liter Crown Vic ? EPA estimate is 26 mpg, I believe. Is that true?

And while I'm asking, how are the CV's as far as labor on other stuff, like waterpump, gas pump, injectors, and whatever else breaks ? How about those air cushions they use for shocks? Do they break ?

Thanks

Reply to
User132384

That is true, you may be better off having it done, or get the shop manual.

Also true, more like 30 on the highway. the 4.6 is great.

They are very reliable and pretty easy to work on.

Reply to
Michael O

Michael O opined in news:L4J6d.284941$Fg5.201067@attbi_s53:

yes they do.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My '92 Grand Marquis with 210k miles has the original air springs with no leaks yet. Love'em. Car is always level, ride is great and when they eventually fail, easy to replace. Stan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski

I heard they were enormously expensive. Something like $500 for one bag.

Reply to
User132384

IN LINE>>>>

Reply to
Scott M

The book says the dash has to come out, but a fleet mechanic will be able to pry the passenger side of the dash out just enough to do the job.

I would suggest visiting a good sized taxi stand (that uses crown vics) or a local police department (that does their own maint - ie state pd) and see if one of the mechanics is willing to take a side job. I did this a few years back for the heater core in my CV and the guy charged me $100 labor and the core cost just under $100 IIRC. I watched him and he had the whole job done in just over an hour. Well worth the $100 labor even knowing how to do the job now.

The good thing is now I have a reliable mechanic that knows my car like the back of his hand since that's all he works on day in and day out. He knows all the tricks and sees every common problem. The good thing is, there are few common problems with the CV.

Reply to
Mark

Baloney! More like $80... and very easy to do yourself.

Mercury Grand Marquis Air SuspensionStan K.

Reply to
Stan Kasperski