Crown Vic paint degradation

My grey 1995 Crown Victoria has a problem I've seen on a lot of older Crown Victorias: the paint seems to be vanishing. I now have a few large patches where the primer seems to be exposed.
Is this as normal as I think? Is it of more than cosmetic significance? If so, is there anything cheap I can do to ameliorate the problem?
-- Mark
Is it blue?
CJB

CJB wrote:

Is his grey car blue? Well, I've never seen his grey car, but I'll bet it's not blue.
Rob
(snip)

I don't think you'd be putting your money at risk if you did make that bet. (-:
-- Mark