Crown Vic tranny AOD

Hi, I've got a 89 Crown Vic with police pack and 351w. My tranny have been rebuilted last summer. I've added a small shift-kit and a ~2300rpm stall, and I have a transmission cooler. The old clutches were black, but I never had any problems with the tranny.

Now, on winter, when I start the car and put in Drive, everything is OK until the first stop. Sometimes, when I try to accelerate from a complete stop, the tranny stays in neutral. It stays in neutral until I give more fuel, and it finally returns in first gear. Same thing for reverse. I tried to put the shifter in "2" position, so the car is supposed to start in 2nd gear even from complete stop, and stays in neutral like it does in "D". No problem after 2 or 3 stops, or when tranny comes warmer.

What can I do about that? Before rebuilt, that problem hapenned rarely (1 time a month only in winter) but now, it's almost every morning.

I've got a 2nd question : My 351W have been rebuilted, and I've installed a rebuilt 650cfm 4bbl Holley carb. I went to 2 garages and both are unable to adjust the carb. It makes a lot of backfires and no power at all. Is it possible that the carb is too big for the stock motor, or the garages just don't know how to adjust a carb?

Thanks for suggestions! __________________ Jérémie

Jérémie Bédard

"Jérémie Bédard" wrote in news:KUtUb.13482$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net:

Backfiring has nothing to do with adjusting the carb. It's more likely a timing problem. It could also be a vacuum leak.

No, 650 is just right for that motor.

Reply to
donutbandit

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thanks for answer, but I already checked the oil. Level is OK and oil is red.

Jérémie

Reply to
Jérémie Bédard

The 650 (double pumper?) is a little too big for the street tune of your engine, you should hold your carb size down to 600cfm rated, also, vacuum secondaries with a heavy spring is a requirement on the C/V. The 351 will only demand 1/4 to 1/2 opening of the secondaries at 4500-5000 rpms under full load. Too weak a spring on the secondaries, or a double-pumper, and your intake velocity will fall off and the engine will stumble when you get on the go-pedal.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1