crown vic transmission question

1999 p71 package, 92k, drives forward fine with no hint of problems. reverse is another matter.
will go into reverse and lock in, but will shudder and slip if given
much gas, so you have to feather it to back up on level ground. the shudder feels like there is plenty of clutch material, just not enough pressure to hold them. when first started up, reverse is no where as bad, only when oil thins out to normal operating temp. transmission oil is clean, clear, and not burnt or dark.
i'm thinking reverse servo, but knowledge is limited on newer transmissions. my questions are:
1. can it be repaired while in car or dropped?
2. does it have to have complete tear down or can you make the repair to that part only?
3. any shortcuts to troubleshooting and repair?
thanks
~ curtis
did you check the fluid level? my 99 did almost the same thing. put in 1 quart, and all problems stopped

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (tom) did you check the fluid level? my 99 did almost the same thing. put in 1 quart, and all problems stopped ==================hi tom - i wish that would have been the problem. i parked on a level place and checked the oil hot and it was over about a pint. i think i will pull the pan and do a fluid and filter change change. while i'm there, take a looksee around and see what's happening in the reverse section.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
Curtis,
When you drop the pan, don't be alarmed if you find a cylindrical plastic piece in the pan. It is a stopper used in production that is popped out when the dipstick is first installed. Just discard it before replacing the pan.