Crown Victoria headlamps

I've noticed that many Crown Victorias when they're enough years old (say mid-90s) seem to have a more opaque, yellow plastic cover over the headlamps instead of something clear and transparent. Is that by design, or is it just rotting plastic or accumulating grime or something? Does it really make any difference to the lights' brightness?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

it is the plastic breaking down.. this is what i did to my 96 countour.. get some Turtle Wax Polishing compound in a can, cost $1.79 some old face rags and wet them down and put some compound on it and rub the lenses for about 10 minutes each.. what you got to do is polish them down just like you would brass to put a polish on it... i then used an electric drill with a polishing bonnet on it and they look like new.. it took about three tries on the headlights when nothing else better to do.. i also used some duct tape around the bottom and sides of the lenses so i would not polish off the paint on the body parts.. i then had to use WD 40 to get off the goo from the back of the tape.... pretty cheap fix.. also the Dodge products from the same time period have similar problems with their lenses...

Reply to
jim