Crown victoria intake?

Hello, Have a 2001 Crown Victoria police(my duty car for paramedic). The intake box is cracked and unusable, so i am in the market for a cheap replacment, and maybe gain a little performance. I have seen 300
dollar cold air intake's, and 30 dollar intake adapters with cone air filter off ebay. Which is the best one for me, and what are the benfits of having either? Most of all which one would you suggest? I am
very handy with cars, so installation wont be a problem. Thanks for any
advice and guidance. -John

Check into this issue before you call your local Ford dealership. The intake was made out of plastic and the replacement intakes were made out of plastic, so the new ones broke. The issue you mention was a chronic problem for late 90's - early 00's 4.6 liter engines. Ford reimbursed owners who paid to replace their cracked intakes. This link will point you in the right direction. http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/notice.html
Frank
Wow very great article, thanks..but would a defective intake manifold, affect the "explosion" of my intake case? thanks! Frank from Deeetroit wrote:

Sounds like the OP's problem is cracked air filter case, not a cracked manifold.

Cold air, opposed to underhood air, is a good thing, but Unless there's something I havent seen lately, ALL current models take in cold air.
Cone filters usually cause problems unless you maintain them -and the MAF- frequently and give you a whopping 2-5 HP gain... less sensible boost than you get by washing and cleaning the car.
Go to junkyard and/or try JB weld or similar
AND of course, you note the confusion caused by including word 'intake'... touchy subject and prone to obvious misinterpretation
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

remove the original intake and airbox including the tube that provides cold air from the fender or grill area. Then you replace it with this massive hunk of chromed, heat transferring metal that sucks hot air straight from under the hood. "cold air" intake my ass. They should call it wallet sucking hot air intake.