Crown Victoria lock latch; up or down?

I have a 92 crown vic that i recently lost my keys in. being a college student, i don't want to hafta pay the huge amount a locksmith charges. i have a coat hanger, and i need to know:

1) is it easier to go thu the top of the door frame and try and press the unlock switch (i have power locks) or down thru the windows seal?

2) if its easier to go thru the window seal, where is the latch located and do i have to press it down or pull it up?

please let me know as soon as possible!

Thanks!

Reply to
asiansensation05

It's easier to pry the top of the door back, bend an old antenna mast (one piece fixed, swiped from a nearby car) into a tight L shape on the end, insert it between the roof and door and trip the power lock button. Bend it in the middle as needed. Once you get it open, head directly to the local hardware store and have a spare key cut for

Reply to
Tom Adkins

get a piece of very heavy wire. make a "U"at the end, spaced about 1 inch apart, with the end being around 3 inches deep. go through the drivers rear door, between the window and lower gasket. once under the window, spin the "tool" until the hook end is pointing in. then use the end to push the lock plunger up, unlocking the door. this is the same thing a locksmith will do.

you can also call the campus police. they may have a lockout kit and do it for you.

Reply to
Tom

Call the non-emergency number for the Campus Police and ask them if they have a 'Slim Jim' lockout kit that works on a Crown Vic - After all, what do you think THEY'RE driving?

And it's more than likely one of the Officers has locked themselves out of a cruiser, probably more than once, and has some practice at it

- "Do you have the spare keys, Vince?" "No, I thought /you/ had the spare keys, Bubba..."

If nothing else, call and put the Dispatcher on notice that you're going to be trying to get back into your own car, and have them pass the word to the on-duty Officers - so if they get reports that "Someone's trying to steal a car in Lot B" the Officers won't dump their box of doughnuts off the dashboard rushing over there. That _really_ tends to start the Field Interview process off on the wrong (powdered-sugar covered) foot... ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Having been locked out of my Escort (idiot at Autozone did it, then didn't offer to help fixing the damn problem) I'd say much easier to go for the power lock button, because you can see what you're doing every step of the way. Wooden wedge, coathanger, you're in. But it's hard to avoid damaging the weatherstrip.

Reply to
zwsdotcom