Curb idle question

Thanks Scott for your input regarding my throttle position solenoid. I took your advice and was able to free up the plunger. I didn't have to buy a new one. I saved about $32 plus tax. I don't have to drive
around with the A/C on. I have a question today about the curb idle setting. Is it there just to prevent the throttle plate from jamming? As soon as I start the engine the TPS plunger automatically keeps the throttle lever at the desired idle setting. When the engine is cold the throttle sits on the stepped cam on the carburetor. The curb idle is never used? What is it for?
Thanks in advance