DaimlerChrysler to Bring Teeny Two-Seater to U.S.

Page 4 of 4
Scott in Florida wrote:

I think they could be lol. Mind you, theres a beautiful 76 'vette down the road. Always wanted one since i was a kid. Cant corner, drinks fuel, totally excessive but I still LOVE them lol. I shoulda been a yank :)
Odd, TV news said 75 highway/ 45 city. Vehicle is good for 1 or 2 persons. They need a longer version for more people and to carry a sizable amount of groceries etc. Pricey compared to other high mpg cars currently on the market, but seems to fare more mpgs. Maybe the maker is counting on this as a factor to sway the buyer. Weight, engine displacement, and appropriate horsepower provided for such a vehicle makes sense to get such mpg. Size (wind resistance) and weight are the biggest obstacles to mpg, next the controllable lead foot and population associated "parking lot" city driving commutes.
--
Jonny
"F. H." < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Jonny wrote:

They were talking about the Smart currently being sold in Europe. The ones being sold in the US currently by Zap! (www.zapworld.com) only get 40MPG and cost minimum $25,000 through independent dealerships. Additionally, DC is making a major mistake because they won't have any available for sale in the US until 2008. In the meantime, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Scion xA and the Honda Fit are flying out the dealerships (including the Yaris I just bought). A year or so ago I was super interested in the Smart car but eventually gave up that idea when I saw the price/mileage change.

In Europe, there is a 4 seat model also. If you've ever been to Rome or Siena, or many other places in Europe, you'd understand why the 2 seat is so popular. I mention Siena, because I was walking down the street when the doors to a residence building open up and the gentleman drove his car out. Yes, it was parked in the vestibule of his house. Nearest parking would have been quite a distance away. Anything larger would not have fit.
As for sizable amount of groceries, it may be handy here, not as much there. We tend to buy in large quantities for the week or month, they tend to buy for the next day or two.
It will be interesting to see how well they sell here as it does call for some lifestyle adjustments. As I said, if I was in a large city, I'd have one, but in the suburbs, much less likely.

Yes, I noticed that. Europeans seems to use cars for transporting people only. Busses and trains, more people. Trucks, large and small, seem to move everything else. Been there (Rome, Gaeta, Marseilles, Toulon, Palma de Mallorca, Cannes, Antalya, Naples, Livorno, and many I don't remember that well) on liberty/furlough, Navy recently retired here. Lot of em just walk to the local market for daily foodstuffs if they live in town. Spanish seem the most likely to walk in western Europe. Live in rural S. central Texas. Need a vehicle to go into some town for groceries etc. that is friendly on gas. Local grocer is very pricey compared to big supermarkets selling same size/brand foodstuffs. Local Ace hardware (franchise) is similar in their prices. Unless its a lotta items or a few expensive ones, its not worth driving elsewhere. My Blazer S-10 is okay for comfort, but my VW wagon is the one I usually use. My opinion regarding very small engine displacement vehicles is that they should be given a break regarding pollution standards here in U.S. Imported or not. Not saying they should be immune entirely, just less stringent. Maybe pollutants per mile standard, say around 1.8L or smaller engine?
--
Jonny

Jonny wrote:

Maybe so but here in California, every now and then, someone starts talking about putting standards on lawn mowers. Never seems to get legs. Must be the dreaded lawn keepers lobbyist's.

What I drove to work today is probably less safe than a Smart. I look both ways before going through a green light.

I could fit four of these in my two-car garage! I could keep a mini-van or sedan, get two Smarts and I'd be upgraded a three-car garage!
[snip]

[snip]
But the Yaris and Fit are noticeably cheaper. I don't see many people giving up the flexibility of something larger (Yaris, Fit, Cobalt LS, Focus) to get 40mpg, unless gas prices go way up.
If it was the same price as a Yaris, I'd consider it. I'd have to believe it was reliable, though.
If half-price, half-size parking spots were available downtown for the Smart or other mini-cars, that might help induce some people to purchase it.

You forgot:
Typical Actual Passenger Load 1 1
:-)

If I were thinking of a Smart car (which I'm not) I'd just as soon have an ancient BMW Isetta and have NO front protection. There is one benefit to a Smart car, though, since you wouldn't have to buy a casket to put your body into after a crash. If all cars were Smart size, it might make sense, but not with so many Excursions, Denalis, Hummers etc on the road, not to mention big rigs.
mack wrote:

or something to carry all those standardized international shipping containers about? i know they don't need to transport construction materials because they don't live in buildings, just holes in the ground. it's damned primitive over there man. don't go.

yeah, we europeans never have had a big vehicle in our lives.
Heck, I went and looked up the same vehicles on the europNCAP rating, and on safercar.gov - Every vehicle that was on both scored much higher in the US ratings than the EU ones - maybe EU cars are safer, or at least rated more stringently.So, just as a supposition, if a vehicle was that dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed in the EU, and oh, thats where the SMARTs been for many years now.
That little two passenger death trap ought to sell well against all of the four passenger, $10,000 to $12,000, cars available in the US. LOL
mike hunt

Just think of it as a stylish Gator or a motorcycle with training wheels, then the driver and passenger can feel safe.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
F. H., 6/29/2006,7:52:40 PM, wrote:

I saw a bunch of these earlier this year in Germany. They're smaller than you can imagine. Take a MINI and chop off a third of it. They also are higher and narrower in profile. I think you might get a paper grocery bag in the trunk area width-wise. I think they're only good for driving around cities; I'd be afraid of driving over 50 MPH in one of those.
badgolferman wrote:

what's with all this fud? [fear, uncertainty, doubt] there's a whole bunch of you bleating fud, fud, fud, but not a single comment is based in fact. why? is this the way y'all make decisions? damn, all y'all'd be /way/ too susceptible to things like onstar "panic" advertising for your own good. and btw, do y'all want to buy some snow this winter? i have some in my freezer. global warming's going to make it a rare commodity you know. come on, it's your last chance...

Reminds me of the AMC Gremlin,where AMC chopped the trunk off a Hornet to make a compact car. What a piece of CRAP.(I owned one)

I've been trying to explain that to them;so far without success. They believe the sales pitch about "electronic stabilization program"!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

initially. As for an urban car it would sell much better if 50% of the current price. Of course it is for two people and their brief cases; not suitable for two people to grocery shop of go playing golf.
Here the much more practical and lower cost Toyota Yaris is running the Smart off the road.