Damn cell phones

Page 2 of 3
Heck, I see police officers talking on THEIR CELL PHONES more than their radios!
Isaiah Beard wrote:

Up here in Ontario, they HAVE NO RADIOS in the cruisers. All they have is the "data terminal" or Laptop computer, which does all the communicating.
I believe it does have voice capability, but I'm not sure. Then they have their Walkies.

No.
"99% of OPS TRANSMISSIONS ON THIS SYSTEM ARE DIGITALLY MODULATED AND NOT MONITORABLE USING CURRENT SCANNER TECHNOLOGY. WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT THESE TRANSMISSION SHOULD THEORETICALLY BE MONITORABLE. THE LEGALITY OF THIS IS UNCLEAR THOUGH.
ADDITIONALLY THIS SYSTEM IS CAPABLE OF ENCRYPTED DIGITAL TRANSMISSIONS."
http://www.iprimus.ca/~ebowlby/mainpage.htm

drivers that are easily distracted probably shouldnt be allowed to carry passengers.
i had a friend years ago that would talk to me while hes driving, looking over at me and gesturing. i had to keep grabbing the "oh shit" handle and telling him to keep his eyes on the road.
so yes, good point. all drivers should be tested for retarded behavior before issuing a license.
On 8/13/04 5:27 PM, in article 4fbTc.282651$JR4.117927@attbi_s54,

Maybe what we should start doing is make everyone who wants to use the phone while driving pass the driving test while talking on the phone to prove they are coordinated enough and can concentrate on the task at hand.
E. Meyer wrote:

With the call from an irate boss or mother in law? ;)
I know when I am drving and talking on my cell phone that when the call is dropped in the middle of a conversation I swerve, accelerate and look down... sure as heck hope I am not tailgating somebody like you in my rusty old truck when this happens.
--

"Ken Weitzel" < snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca> wrote in message

if it jams the phone and causes a lost signal, wont the typical idiot driver try to redial the number, distracting themselves even more? just a thought.
i want one of them strobes that turns stoplights green :)
SoCalMike opined in

no, that's NOT just a thought.That's exactly what would happen!
add to that the down-sides that OTHER guys have already suggested and you can come to only one conclusion:
That is...The poster is, IMO, just another self-righteous idiot that only sees things in black and white.... never considering side effects.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:22:44 GMT, SoCalMike

Very clever, but how will that help you if the cross signals are also green?
There's so much running of orange and red lights around here, I wish the city would put up signs saying "ON RED LIGHT WATCH FOR CROSS TRAFFIC".
Otto wrote:

turns em red, very quickly. used for emergency vehicles.

with message

Yeah, instead they'd be fiddling with the thing (redialing, looking at the screen and not the road) trying to figure out what happened... sounds MORE dangerous to me ;-)
--
-Chris
http://www.ChrisGarcia.com - My Homepage

Nothing safe like a driver who is pissed off because he just got off from his important cell phone convesation.
Nor is anything safe like a cell phone user who is driving and desperately redialing because he got cut off and wants to get reconnected.
Jeff (...)
Let's think about this for a second. What is the person on the cell phone going to do when they come into range of your jammer? My guess is they will immediately look away from the road at the phone to see what happened and then start redialing, running into your car in the process because of the added distraction of the the dropped call.

Instead of gabbing, they'd be frantically redialing and causing even more of a hazard. Thank God you're not a lawmaker. This kind of brain dead thinking is all too common.
--
BT

drivers. Sort of like walking while chewing gum;
1. Those who can, and do, without difficulty.
2. Those who can't, and so don't.
3. Those who shouldn't, but do anyway.
It's really only those in group 3 that concern me. A 'stupidity' test for cell phone endorsement on your licence, maybe??
Nah, that wouldn't last long in any democracy which insists on allowing idiots to vote.
Regards, Al.

Cell phones don't cause deaths... Stupidity causes deaths. That is like asking how many guns save lives as oppsoed to cause deaths. Its not the gun, its the moron using it. Lets not restrict my abilities cause someone else is limited. Why should I have to be held back. Make them learn to be like the rest of us. This is what causes the degradation of the American society. We keep holding back our people to some miniscule level that everyone can maintain. Great, so I have to be stupid cause someone else is.
Trust me, I know I have been able to save 3 lives while using my cell phon on the freeway. One drunk that slammed into the median wall and then veered back across the highway into a ditch. A lady that fell asleep while driving and went through a guardrail. the third was a fellow that had some front end part on his car bust while driving and veered him into a median wall and flip his car. I happened to be the only other person on the road in all three incidents. Two of which were at least 6 or 7 miles from the nearest exit and were late at night so who knows if anything was open. I have 3 lives saved, and I have never taken a life using my cell phone.
Sijuki wrote:
<snip>

Hi...
And you used your cell phone to save these folks, by using it to call while you continued merrily down the road?? :)
Besides, no one has suggested or even hinted that they not be used in an emergency.
Cops have discretion, judges have even more.
Coupla years ago I had to take my youngest grandchild to the hospital in a hurry. Had to turn left off a major road onto another major road to enter the emergency room. Slowed for the red light, then went ahead. Pulling into the hospital lot a cop (Winnipeg) followed me. Soon as he saw me jump out and head into the emergency room carrying the child he drove off.
Ken

I'm sorry, perhaps you didn't read what I was responding to. Obviously you can't pay attention. Thank you.
You shouldn't be bragging about saving a drunk driver...due to your stupidity, someone will die for that.