Dash exchange

Years ago I had a Jeep with the 'low end' dash panel. I went to a salvage yard and picked up a new dash with all the instruments and plugged it in. I figured I would have to at least change some sensors.

But the whole thing came right up and worked fine. The hardest part was moving the odometer with all the antitamper stuff.

Anyway, I have a 4-gauge dash in my 2006 Mustang. Does anyone know if the

6-gauge unit will drop in? I realize I'd have to add the center console switches, but I'm wondering if the project is do-able at all.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

Any dash from the same body Mustang will fit. As to "options," the wire harness is the same in all of them, even if yours was not equipped the same, as you discovered with the Jeep.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I did the swap in my 4.0 06. Went from the 4g to the 6g. It was plug and play for me, no issues at all. I was luck enough to find one with the same mileage I had and same options I had. Couple things to keep in mind....

1, The mileage is carried in the cluster, not in the computer. 2, The VIN is programmed in to the cluster to prevent tampering. 3, You "can" order everything new from a dealer, they will order it with your options, mileage and VIN programmed in. It's about 450 from what I remember. 4, Unless the options 100% match you will need to go to the dealer to have it programmed. Supposedly they jack in, download your options from you old cluster and upload it to the new. 5, The clusters are different in a GT and 4.0, speedo and tach are different. 6, Check to see if you can even upgrade... pop out the left side plug (above the radio) and see it you have the harness there for the switch, it actually plugs right in to the blank cap. If you don't you'll have some issues.

I actually have an 06 6g cluster (for a 4.0) sitting out in my garage with the switch I could let go for a reasonable price, 63k mileage, abs and tcs. If interested make me an offer.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Thanks!

Let me do some checking... I'll pull my panel later this week.

I just turned 70K on the mileage so it might be a good match.

I have the ABS and TCS systems. (I thought they were standard) Anything else that needs to match?

How do I get the VIN into the cluster?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

You can't get the VIN in to the cluster unless it's ordered new from the dealership, it's burnt in to a chip in the cluster (at least that's what I was told by mine). I don't think there's anything else to match except an 06 can only use an 05 or 06 cluster, 07+ all have TPMS.

Reply to
Brian V

You must replace the VIN on the replacement dash with the VIN from your dash.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

There are plenty of aftermarket speedometer repair places. Google "speedometer repair". Then see if they can do what you want and its cheaper than the dealer. I think it takes a ford NGS or such to do it.

bob

Reply to
bob

And that is done...

Chip change? Programming change??

I'd like to take my mileage across, but I don't think that's possible, is it?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y