Dash light problem, 2002 Ford Taurus SEL

I own a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL. I was having trouble with the panel light on the dashboard behind the speedometer. For some reason, it wasn't working right since November of last year. I took my car to Formula Ford Truckland, Inc. in Barre, VT where I bought the car from in December. I told their service department about the problem. They looked at the problem and could not verify the problem at that time. In most cases, I have no problems with the service department at Formula Ford and am usually satisfied with them.

So, I tried going to another dealer. I contacted the service manager at Heritage Ford in South Burlington, VT if they would service my vehicle under my Extended Service Plan. The service manager there said they would gladly service it under warranty. I made arrangements to have my vehicle serviced at Heritage Ford (Vermont) this afternoon after work. I told them that I was having problems with the light behind the dashboard. It would not illuminate. They did a lot of reality checks on it. Here's what they did.

They verified that the instrument cluster dash lights did not come on. The directional signals stayed on solid. They ran the oasis test. Looked at the wiring diagram, checked the fuse, they were all okay. They removed the radio and trim, driver side lower kick panel and the instrument cluster panel. they checked everything and were okay. They inspected the circuit board and they found that the ground pin made contact with the circuit board and it has been melted together. When the connector was disconnected, it broke. It caused the dash light to stay ground the whole time I was having problem with it. They cleaned the connector and applied electrical grease to connector and reassembled everything that was taken apart. Dash light works fine now.

They did all the work in about 3 hours under warranty and I only had to pay $50.00 deductible for the repairs. I drove my car home completely satisfied.

~CyberWolf

light

working

Truckland,

with

at

under

was

at

board

works

============Moral of the story: Go somewhere else if need be. :) Good thing you found a place thats on the ball.

Cool!

Why did you have to pay a $50.00 deductible if the work was done under warranty?

manager

gladly

serviced

had