Dead battery - new battery?

I had a problem starting my car one day, jumped it and it wouldn't hold the jump. So, I went and purchased a new one with the correct CCA (not that it
matters in AZ). In any event, it started up and I drove it around a little. The next day I went out and the battery was dead. Deader than a doornail. All I got was grinding and clicking.
I did a little research on the forums and newsgroups and went out and purchased an EEC relay and a trickle charger. It took almost 2 days to charge up the battery, but it finally charged. I went to start it and with just 10 seconds of cranking, the battery went dead again. I put it back on the charger and within 10 minutes it was charged. Tried again, same thing. Within 10 seconds (no exaggeration), it was reading dead again.
Is the battery, or is it something on the car. I can not imagine any battery not being able to support a crank for longer than that. YEOW.
Thanks and take care, Sharon

your probley not getting a full charge if it is dead. you need a real charger not a trickle charger when fully dead. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice

It's the starter, starter relay, or starter cable. Check for corrosion & tightness, including ground wires.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:

Just wanted to add one additional thing. I charged up the battery again and never turned put the key in the ignition. I just opened the door and let the interior lights run for a minute. It totally drained the battery. Hopefully someone here can answer my questions. Thanks, Sharon
Assuming the battery charged as it should have (invest in a voltmeter), it sounds like a lot of current draw from some place other than the interior lights. A fried diode in the alternator can cause this.
Sharon wrote:

Got Wally World to give me a new battery, and I purchased the a new short cable to the solenoid (and eventually to the starter). I took the seven different things that seem to be connected to the stud end of the solenoid (holy cow, never seen that many before) and cleaned them all. Now the car cranks over, but doesn't start. I can not hear the fuel pump, so I will try the fuel pump relay. I would assume the starter is okay, or it wouldn't even crank. Thanks Sharon for the additional advice. It may be a combination of problems that are occurring at one time and I think the cable may have been one.
Take Care, Sharon