Dead ECU

98 Contour, 2.5 Duratec, 50,000 mi. Just died on the road. Last week or so the engine would cut out for a few seconds but, then, pick up again.
When it died, the Check Engine lite came on. Starter works, but no
ignition.
Shop [not Ford dealership] says their analyzer is getting no response from the ECU.
Does Ford have a history of ECU's going bad? Also, I've had a Superchip installed since I first got the car. Any possibility that the Superchip had an effect on the ECU?
Thanks
Looks like you are going through what I am with my 94 Escort. Your problem sounds like you may have an intermittent failure - I would start looking for loose ground wires, or other connections first.
If it ends up being the ECM - I have been getting lots of quotes from on-line parts recyclers in the 35-75 dollar range - not too outrageous. Backyard Mechanic here on this list has told me that real ECU failures are in fact very uncommon.
See if you are getting fuel to your fuel rail Schrader valve test connection, to rule out a fuel pump problem, then check to see if you are getting spark ignition. Check to see if your injectors are operating with a test light. Is your timing belt intact? Has it jumped out of time?
Good luck - I'll let you know how I make out with mine.
Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

so
had
Chris Bowne opined in

THanks for adding that, Chris...
I should have mentioned the Grounds... that's the greatest real problem; I've gotten used to looking for them through about 10 beater EFI cars.
First mode of failure is Grounds, second is EEC and fuel pump relays... usually, in 80's, due to water incursion.
Otherwise, my statement is PURELY anecdotal... the guys here that do fleet maintenance or real shop pro's would have more realistic input.
But I bet I'm right.... even "rebuilt" units are cheap... I'd bet they dont "rebuild" at all... just test them.
Frank, have you tried removing the chip yet and seeing if it works then? If it IS the PCM you can get a new "used" one really cheap from a junkyard, try car-part.com. I know they had some around $20 for my '97 Taurus. I was looking into a second one for some tinkering. Good luck,
Tom

so
had
Yes, I have taken the chip out, disconnected power [20 min] and reconnected. No change.
On used engine computer, how do you identify which mods/versions of the engine computer will work in my engine?
Thanks
PS. Ford is telling me a new ECU is $1000 - does that sound right?

or
from
Found the problem.
I also had an aftermarket mass air meter. Replacing the MAM fixed the problem.

Superchip
Superchip