Dealer can't make me keys from VIN for 1994 F150 ?!?

I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994 F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and inconvenient for me .

Reply to
nospam4me

It is only recently that the dealers have been able to get the key code from a data base by knowing the VIN#, so he is probably correct. If you know who the original selling dealers was you may be able get the key code from them, since that was the only place they were recorded, back when. You will need to prove you are the owner of that vehicle, however. If it's in say in your and your wifes name, you will need to provide proof from both of you. I always carry a copy of the key code with me at all times, in the event I loose my keys

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I broke car key (I think was using it a screwdriver - not recommended) a few years ago. When lock smith came out, he was able to make a new one using the old peices as a guide. There are only five or six ridges and with about 2 or

3 different heights for each one. So it isn't too hard to duplicate a new one that is just like new.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I should have added that my car was the last year for the contour that this could be done for (1997). Later cars have the electonic key fobs or something. Electronic key fobs were in use in other cars before 1997, whether or not this would work for a particular car or truck, I don't know.

Reply to
Jeff

I'm pretty sure a locksmith can make a key by using their "impression method". Only takes a few mins. with a blank and a tiny pair of vice-grips and a key file. In SC, I take the car and for about $15-20 I leave w/the keySSSS. If l-smith has to come to my place to do it, it costs us about $50. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Make that 5 different heights, but still not that hard....

Johan

Reply to
johanb

Any Locksmith can easily cut a new key (to original dimensions) from a working old key! I always have that done when I buy a used car, then I have my copies made from the newly cut key. Should cost between $5-$10. If you need a special type key get the blank from the dealer and have a lock smith cut the key for you.

Reply to
351CJ

I had keys cut for an '89 Mazda at a locksmith. I had no keys. All I had to provide him was a number on the lock cylinder. This only involved removing the inside door panel and finding the number etched on the lock.

Reply to
Richard

Search EBAY, companies make keys e.g. streetkeys.com or somethjing... they sold me one for 1994 Oldsmobile which I junked later but the fact remains - they made me a key I thought can never order again

Reply to
Alotta Fagina

and it cost a 20 or so dollars, cheap

Reply to
Alotta Fagina

Any good locksmith can cut you a brand new key (With a small "pliers like" hand tool) by looking at your old key and cutting a new one. There are only X positions and X depths at each position on each key. I always had this done every time I bought a used car. It generally costs between $5 & $10 dollars, then they can just copy the new key.

Reply to
351CJ